Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing Board Dilemma (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-board-dilemma-t273781.html)

Bueniebabe 12-27-2015 10:19 PM

have you tried bath, bed & beyond?
I have a 19 inch one coming but don't know how low it goes

quiltingshorttimer 12-27-2015 10:24 PM

I agree with Jeanne S--check Bed, Bath and Beyond--they have many choices and more on their website. Same with irons.

KwiltyKahy 12-28-2015 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by MargaretH (Post 7415371)
I have one. Since 1964. It is a Mary Procter and later Procter Silex. The corner folds down and up. When up, both end have squared corners and it adjusts way down. I love it and hope it never falls apart.

My mother has one of those. They don't make them anymore. If they had marketed them to quilters they would have made a mint and still be in production.

Geri B 12-29-2015 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by MargaretH (Post 7415371)
I have one. Since 1964. It is a Mary Procter and later Procter Silex. The corner folds down and up. When up, both end have squared corners and it adjusts way down. I love it and hope it never falls apart.

Yup! That's mine too!

Stitchit123 12-29-2015 05:40 AM

My ironing board is over 100yrs old I love it but it is not hgt adjustable and it also seems to be getting heavier. So I re-purposed one of those tables that goes over a hospital bed. I can adjust the hgt.And it's the perfect size for pressing blocks. I can actually make it short enough for my GDs to sit on the floor and color. I see one every time I go out shopping the 2nd hand stores and they range in price from $10 to $20 way cheaper then boards from WM.

dcamarote 12-29-2015 06:50 AM

Wow. I am a nurse and never thought of that. Great idea and thanks for sharing it.

maviskw 12-29-2015 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 (Post 74167)
I re-purposed one of those tables that goes over a hospital bed. I can adjust the hgt.And it's the perfect size for pressing blocks. I can actually make it short enough for my GDs to sit on the floor and color. I see one every time I go out shopping the 2nd hand stores and they range in price from $10 to $20 way cheaper then boards from WM.

This sounds like a great idea. I'll be on the look-out for one of those.

tessagin 12-29-2015 07:32 AM

I have my one and only ever board from first marriage (1971) and it goes pretty low. Dh cut me a board that is easy to remove from my ironing board. It's just light enough to remove but heavy enough to stay put. I attached silver ironing cover to it. it's 20"x 40".

nativetexan 12-29-2015 08:48 AM

I didn't like the 18 inch one I got at Walmart. the metal top is a bit bendy when I iron. I still use it but haven't gotten rid of my 20+ old one!! not sure how low it goes.

rryder 12-29-2015 09:05 AM

I couldn't find one I liked, so I took a piece of board and made a slip on cover for it using that ironing board stuff you get by the yard from Nancy's or Joann's. To iron I lay it over one of those small lightweight rectangular fold up tables that they sell at Sam's. I'm short, so I can stand and iron at it comfortably, but it also is a good height for sitting and ironing (just a little lower than my sewing machine cabinet).

I used a scrap board so it's a little narrower than the table, but it is long enough that I can iron the entire 45" width of a piece of fabric on it. It's light enough that I can easily put it out of the way when I need the table for something else.

Rob