Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing Board Dilemma >

Ironing Board Dilemma

Ironing Board Dilemma

Old 12-27-2015, 04:39 PM

Smile Ironing Board Dilemma

I need help with finding a new ironing board, and thought you wonderful ladies on the Board would be the best people to ask. I bought a wonderful strong ironing board at a thrift store several years ago and have been using it ever since. I set it behind me when I sew and set it low enough that I can just rotate my chair and use it. I use it to cut, pin, paste and press, so it gets used more than the sewing machine. I even made a big board for it. However, I need to take it down a lot and that big board seems to be getting heavier the older I get. So, I decided to get one of those 18" wide ironing boards. And I wanted a really stable one with adjustable heights. So I asked dear Hubby for one for Christmas. He got me a new Brabantia. I was so excited to put it up but when I did, the lowest adjustment was to 30". I think I use it at 22-24" when I am sitting. So back it goes. Does anyone have or know of a wide board that will adjust down to 22"? I have spent the day searching on line and the only one I found doesn't seem to have many reviews and it sure looks wild.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/47713646?w...467874&veh=sem
Old 12-27-2015, 04:55 PM

I have this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Homz-Profe...25921293#about
i just measured and I could get it down to 22". Really like how wide the top is
Old 12-27-2015, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

What I don't like about that one (other than the wild orange color) is that it seems to be graduated in width all the way along. For ironing yardage I want something that is the same width for a wider distance.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:59 PM

Have you looked at the Bed Bath and Beyond website? They have three pages of ironing boards. I recently bought a new one there, the Real Simple brand, just a standard size board but works for me. It does have a wide range of adjustable heights as I use it standing up and sitting down.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by pattypurple View Post
I have this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Homz-Profe...25921293#about
i just measured and I could get it down to 22". Really like how wide the top is
I also have this one and really like it.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:04 PM

Oh, thank you, pattypurple. That is an excellent choice.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:06 PM

I agree with you, dunster. It does some more oval than square. That was one of my major concerns-other than the orange color. LOL.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:55 PM

Anyone remember the brand name of the adjustable metal board that was blue and the legs ended in a wide bar at the end. I found one like that at the thrift store and love it..Had the same one in my younger days 60"s or 70's I just can't remember the brand..I think it was named after a woman..not Betty Crocker
Old 12-27-2015, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
Anyone remember the brand name of the adjustable metal board that was blue and the legs ended in a wide bar at the end. I found one like that at the thrift store and love it..Had the same one in my younger days 60"s or 70's I just can't remember the brand..I think it was named after a woman..not Betty Crocker
I have one. Since 1964. It is a Mary Procter and later Procter Silex. The corner folds down and up. When up, both end have squared corners and it adjusts way down. I love it and hope it never falls apart.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:45 PM

Thank you all. I have decided to go with the board at Walmart. I sure do appreciate you, pattypurple, for actually taking the time to measure your ironing board for me. My old ironing board, which I got at the thrift store/ has those blue legs too. Just wish it was wider..