Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ironing fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-fabric-t32375.html)

BellaBoo 12-26-2009 07:42 PM

I dislike ironing fabric. I think our local cleaner is having less business then usual. I wonder if I could get my yardage washed and pressed reasonable there.....I think I will call Monday and make a deal. Imagine having all my yardage washed and ironed professionally, that will be a big time saver.

Bobbinwinder 12-26-2009 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter

Originally Posted by blahel

i wish this would work on the wrinkles on my face! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eat more, they'll fluff.

I know...but I'm outgrowing my furniture!

littlehud 12-27-2009 08:23 PM

I remember my mom doing this with the ironing when I was a kid. Needless to say that was a LONG time ago.

Gigip 12-27-2009 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
I sprinkle it, roll up in plastic and put in the freezer overnight- irons great that way.

I put my fabric in the freezer too. I put in the dryer for a few minutes to get some of the moisture out and then I fold it and freeze it and it is so easy to iron and comes out so nice. If I am hand washing a few fat quarters I roll them in a towel before I put them in the freezer.

LOL I first discovered this years ago when I used to iron my husbands shirts. I never used to get it all done and I put the shirts in the freezer after I sprinkled them so they didn't get mildew.

Joan 12-27-2009 08:57 PM

I used spray sizing. It takes all those little wrinkles out of the fabric quick as you can snap your fingers!

amma 12-27-2009 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by blahel

Originally Posted by amma
I like to iron when it is still fairly damp. :D:D:D
Even then there can be stubborn wrinkles that I spray into submission with water :wink:

i wish this would work on the wrinkles on my face! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You and me both LMBO My grands learned how to count by using my wrinkles :roll: gotta love them :D:D:D

mosher92 12-27-2009 10:51 PM

LOL. I read the posts about putting fabric in the freezer. I have never done that and I am afraid if I was to do it that my husband would think I had finally gone over the edge.

amma 12-27-2009 10:55 PM

I have heard that too...but my freezer doesn't have that much room when I wash a bigger amount it seems like it would take longer than I would want to wait to get er done :D:D:D

FinelyFabricated 12-28-2009 05:27 AM

I never thought of putting it in the freezer.

I never dry my fabric completely. I put it in the dryer to fluff and get out the worst of the wrinkles.

I use a spray bottle on tough to remove wrinkles and a good steam iron. I also use a light spray starch on the fabric to replace the sizing that's washed out. I don't like fabric shrinkage or bleeding after the quilt is made so I prevent them. Surprisingly I have more fabrics that bleeds from the LQS than from Joann's. So every new fabric goes into the washer as soon as I get it home. Then ironed and refolded before being stored by color family.

I tend to be in color moods when I shop. So lots of greens one day and oranges or whatever another. Mostly they can go in the same washer. I tie it in old pillow cases so it has less fraying. Every fabric goes into a dish tub of water for 10 minutes before it goes in the washer; so I can identify the bleeders and take action if needed.

rainbowquilt 12-28-2009 04:11 PM

yes i do too! remember the glass bottle cap that goes over "pop" bottles that had a sprinkler in them? ut oh marking my age! lol