Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ironing fabric

After you wash and dry your fabric do you have a hard time getting all of the wrinkles out? Do you just dry until it is still a little damp? Sometimes it is just too wrinkly and it seems like it take me forever to iron.

Blog Entries
    I like to iron when it is still fairly damp. :D:D:D
    Even then there can be stubborn wrinkles that I spray into submission with water :wink:

If it's 100% cotton you can use a hot iron with steam. I also keep a little spray bottle of water handy and spritz as I iron.

Ditto for me.

me 3 !

Thanks

If you live where you can hang the wet material outside to dry you will have fewer wrinkles and then you only need to press it. Sometimes that isn't even necessary.

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Even then there can be stubborn wrinkles that I spray into submission with water :wink:
    i wish this would work on the wrinkles on my face! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blahel

Eat more, they'll fluff.

Blog Entries
    I also use a little spray bottle and a steam iron for my SUPER stubborn wrinkles. The spray bottle works perfectly for me.

Blog Entries
    I dislike ironing fabric. I think our local cleaner is having less business then usual. I wonder if I could get my yardage washed and pressed reasonable there.....I think I will call Monday and make a deal. Imagine having all my yardage washed and ironed professionally, that will be a big time saver.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter

Eat more, they'll fluff.
    I know...but I'm outgrowing my furniture!

I remember my mom doing this with the ironing when I was a kid. Needless to say that was a LONG time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    I sprinkle it, roll up in plastic and put in the freezer overnight- irons great that way.
    I put my fabric in the freezer too. I put in the dryer for a few minutes to get some of the moisture out and then I fold it and freeze it and it is so easy to iron and comes out so nice. If I am hand washing a few fat quarters I roll them in a towel before I put them in the freezer.

LOL I first discovered this years ago when I used to iron my husbands shirts. I never used to get it all done and I put the shirts in the freezer after I sprinkled them so they didn't get mildew.

I used spray sizing. It takes all those little wrinkles out of the fabric quick as you can snap your fingers!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    You and me both LMBO My grands learned how to count by using my wrinkles :roll: gotta love them :D:D:D

LOL. I read the posts about putting fabric in the freezer. I have never done that and I am afraid if I was to do it that my husband would think I had finally gone over the edge.

Blog Entries
    I have heard that too...but my freezer doesn't have that much room when I wash a bigger amount it seems like it would take longer than I would want to wait to get er done :D:D:D

I never thought of putting it in the freezer.

I never dry my fabric completely. I put it in the dryer to fluff and get out the worst of the wrinkles.

I use a spray bottle on tough to remove wrinkles and a good steam iron. I also use a light spray starch on the fabric to replace the sizing that's washed out. I don't like fabric shrinkage or bleeding after the quilt is made so I prevent them. Surprisingly I have more fabrics that bleeds from the LQS than from Joann's. So every new fabric goes into the washer as soon as I get it home. Then ironed and refolded before being stored by color family.

I tend to be in color moods when I shop. So lots of greens one day and oranges or whatever another. Mostly they can go in the same washer. I tie it in old pillow cases so it has less fraying. Every fabric goes into a dish tub of water for 10 minutes before it goes in the washer; so I can identify the bleeders and take action if needed.

yes i do too! remember the glass bottle cap that goes over "pop" bottles that had a sprinkler in them? ut oh marking my age! lol

I don't just remember those used "ketchup bottles" filled with water and a metal sprinkler at the top--I used them. Is that dating me or what! When I worked in the Pentagon, my roommates and I used to "freeze" our laundered laundry as well. It did ease the ironing a great deal. I never thought about doing it with quilting fabric. What great tips we get on this Board. Thanks gals.

Downy wrinkle release really helps; especially on the folded edges of fat quarters or yardage.

This is so true...

Quote Originally Posted by quilterj
    After you wash and dry your fabric do you have a hard time getting all of the wrinkles out? Do you just dry until it is still a little damp? Sometimes it is just too wrinkly and it seems like it take me forever to iron.
    I use Mary ellen's Best Press when I press washed fabric - takes the wrinkles right out and gives it a nice 'hand'.

The ONLY fabric I prewash is flannel. Sometimes I'll wash a red fabric if there is a lot of it in a quilt with white, otherwise I wash the completed quilt with Color Cathers. Cuts out a lot of ironing and solves that deep set wrinkle problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast