Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing over 1/4" edge on 1" strips - HELP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-over-1-4-edge-1-strips-help-t223998.html)

bearisgray 06-18-2013 05:03 PM

Never thought of "stitching" without thread in the needle to mark the line on fabric!

coopah 06-18-2013 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6130015)
I machine stitch 1/4 inch from the edge (like stay stitching) - then press - using the stitched line as a guide -

I frequently do this for hems - like on pillowcases, too.

Sometimes I do that same thing. Works like a charm!

novicequiltergrandma 06-18-2013 11:09 PM

I machine stitch 1/4 inch from the edge (like stay stitching) - then press - using the stitched line as a guide -

This is how I was taught. The stitching line makes the fabric fold over very easy. Then, once you have it ironed, you can pull out the basting stitch.

DOTTYMO 06-18-2013 11:30 PM

I have never used the stitching method and an confused. Doesn't take much.
I take the thread from needle and sew then. Take out basting thread. Where has the thread come from?

You could put small spots of glue fold and press but this will not open again so no good.

Jackie Spencer 06-19-2013 03:40 AM

This is how I do it too!!

snipforfun 06-19-2013 04:15 AM

I have a real wide bias tape maker that I used when I made a reversible quilt and had to cover the seams with a long folded strop. I just cut the length and pulled it through and pressed the strip as I pulled it through

Kitsie 06-19-2013 07:05 AM

Dotty, we're meaning using the machine to sew the 1/4" line, just to make it easier to fold the fabric on.
I was finding it hard to fold over that 1/4" evenly and press it. But if you just use the machine with no thread in the needle you'll have a line of holes and that works, too without having to remove thread. Hope that helps ya!!

Thought about glue, but too hard to sew through and its not the having it stay over, its just the getting it even.

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 6130691)
I have never used the stitching method and an confused. Doesn't take much.
I take the thread from needle and sew then. Take out basting thread. Where has the thread come from?

You could put small spots of glue fold and press but this will not open again so no good.

Kitsie 06-19-2013 07:09 AM

good idea, Snip, thought about that but the dread of feeding 100's of 6" strips threw made me rethink! Now if I'd only done them loooong then cut them! *sigh*

Originally Posted by snipforfun (Post 6130892)
I have a real wide bias tape maker that I used when I made a reversible quilt and had to cover the seams with a long folded strop. I just cut the length and pulled it through and pressed the strip as I pulled it through

DebraK 06-19-2013 07:27 AM

what a great tip!

Kitsie 06-19-2013 09:14 AM

Hey, Bear and others! Found out with a bigger needle (my "leather" one is too big) and no thread its fine to sew (punch) 3 or 4 layered strips at a time! Steam iron erases the puckers and most of the holes!