Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ironing over 1/4" edge on 1" strips - HELP

Blog Entries

Ironing over 1/4" edge on 1" strips - HELP

These are strips for sashing and are already cut to 6" lengths!
    There MUST be an easier way than drawing a line on each one or trying to push the edge over a flat metal ruler - Ouch!
    Anybody got a simple way? Thanks!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    If they are sashing arent you going to sew them to something like a block with 1/4" seam? Not sure how younare using these. Maybe sashing for a QAYG?

Blog Entries
    Here is a printable folding template that may help you. http://scientificseamstress.blogspot...-download.html
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Thanks very much, Auntie! I've tried making one of those out of heat resistant template plastic. Works somewhat but I think it the narrow 1/4" that's the bummer! But a useful tool to bookmark!

Snip, yes you do sew the raw edges to the blocks for the top ... Best if you see the tute by Kimberly here on the board:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t115627.html
    You need to hand stitch the folded edge over on the back (I reversed Kimberley"s so the hand stitching is on the back of the quilt).
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Power Poster
    I machine stitch 1/4 inch from the edge (like stay stitching) - then press - using the stitched line as a guide -

I frequently do this for hems - like on pillowcases, too.

Blog Entries
    make the seam allowance wider, press the larger allowance, then trim to 1/4"
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    Kitsie - will you need to fold over both long edges? If so, maybe something like this will help http://scientificseamstress.blogspot...r-nothing.html
    Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 06-18-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Bear, that sounds lie the best solution - doesn't matter if the stitching stays there really if I applique nicely.
    Thought of that too Nancy, but already had cut the strips to 1" and Auntie, its only the one side of one of the two strips. Thanks, ladies! Think I will do Bear's way!

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    I just tried it without thread in the needle! Works great with no puckers! May try a bigger needle, but I'm very happy!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I machine stitch 1/4 inch from the edge (like stay stitching) - then press - using the stitched line as a guide -

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    I like the stitching idea too!!

Power Poster
    Never thought of "stitching" without thread in the needle to mark the line on fabric!

Blog Entries

Sometimes I do that same thing. Works like a charm!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

This is how I was taught. The stitching line makes the fabric fold over very easy. Then, once you have it ironed, you can pull out the basting stitch.

Blog Entries
    I have never used the stitching method and an confused. Doesn't take much.
    I take the thread from needle and sew then. Take out basting thread. Where has the thread come from?

You could put small spots of glue fold and press but this will not open again so no good.
    Finished is better than a UFO

This is how I do it too!!

Blog Entries
    I have a real wide bias tape maker that I used when I made a reversible quilt and had to cover the seams with a long folded strop. I just cut the length and pulled it through and pressed the strip as I pulled it through

Blog Entries
    Dotty, we're meaning using the machine to sew the 1/4" line, just to make it easier to fold the fabric on.
    I was finding it hard to fold over that 1/4" evenly and press it. But if you just use the machine with no thread in the needle you'll have a line of holes and that works, too without having to remove thread. Hope that helps ya!!

Thought about glue, but too hard to sew through and its not the having it stay over, its just the getting it even.

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    I have never used the stitching method and an confused. Doesn't take much.
    I take the thread from needle and sew then. Take out basting thread. Where has the thread come from?

You could put small spots of glue fold and press but this will not open again so no good.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    good idea, Snip, thought about that but the dread of feeding 100's of 6" strips threw made me rethink! Now if I'd only done them loooong then cut them! *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    I have a real wide bias tape maker that I used when I made a reversible quilt and had to cover the seams with a long folded strop. I just cut the length and pulled it through and pressed the strip as I pulled it through

Kitsie

what a great tip!
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    Hey, Bear and others! Found out with a bigger needle (my "leather" one is too big) and no thread its fine to sew (punch) 3 or 4 layered strips at a time! Steam iron erases the puckers and most of the holes!

Kitsie

[QUOTE=bearisgray;6130015]I machine stitch 1/4 inch from the edge (like stay stitching) - then press - using the stitched line as a guide -

I often do this like bearisgray, stitch 1/4" from the edge, then press under on the stitching line. Not just in making quilts, but on other projects as well.

When turning under hems (no matter the width), I frequently use strips of brown craft paper with the fold allowance marked along one edge. Just plop the paper strip to the wrong side of the strip, line up the edge of the fabric with the marked line, and zap the iron down. Goes really fast---especially on long strips.

Kitsie ... For the QAYG that I've seen, that problem has been avoided, as the hand stitched strips were double folded, machine stitched on the open edge, and then your hand stitched edge is a folded edge, like it would be when binding a quilt. Clear as Mud? To me it would avoid the necessity of fiddling with that 1/4" fold back, and the fraying that ultimately might happen with the raw edge fold ... to say the least about the burned fingers! I know you have all all the strips cut already, but this might be a workable alternative, if what you figured out, doesn't continue to work! Or for another time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    Yes, stitch a 1/4 inch line on the fabric. Gives a great edge for turning. I use this method all the time on all kinds of projects. It is so easy and so accurate and SO efficient!!

All great tips! I use a tracing wheel, someone had posted a link to this tip long ago. You just put your ruler on where you want the fold, run the tracing wheel over it, like a rotary but doesnt cut, makes it kinda fold up.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast