Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   irons--will the teflon bottom get glidier??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/irons-will-teflon-bottom-get-glidier-t121656.html)

deb8746 05-09-2011 11:22 AM

I had a black and decker then went up tp a rowenta and now wieh I had the black and decker back. Just liked everything about it.

Lady Crafter 05-09-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Carol J.
My mother ironed quickly across a piece of wax paper and that made the bottom of her iron glide faster. I have had both teflon and steel and used that method when I thought the iron needed help.
Carol J.

I ALWAYS use wax paper .... teflon or not. That was my Mom's hint too. Works for me!

BTW ... I like the subject line ... is "glidier" a word ?? :lol: :lol:

Marge L. 05-09-2011 01:14 PM

By the sound of all these irons, I guess I'll keep the GE that I've had for 20+ years. Not a steamer. Have a Proctor Silex for that, but it is too light. I prefer a heavier iron.

waladopa 05-09-2011 01:16 PM

I use an iron slipper so it doesn't matter what the bottom of my iron is like.

beewild 05-09-2011 03:32 PM

I love my iron. I looked up tailoring supplies online and found a professional iron. I think the brand is Eagle. It has a 1 gallon water container that uses filter resin and hangs by the iron. It also has a teflon sole plate and it gets really hot or you can set to to a lower temp. press a button when you want steam. if it starts to get a bit sticky just clean with iron off cleaner and glides beautifuly again. It did cost around $100 but have saved so much in the long run because I haven't had to replace it. Does anyone else use one of these?

Marysewfun 05-09-2011 04:05 PM

I have a Proctor Silex with teflon bottom I got at Wal-Mart about 3 years ago (under $10)- and LOVE it except I wish it got hotter - but at least I never have to worry about burning something. I bought a Rowenta for $75.00 last year and after a few uses, it is still sitting on the shelf (leaks badly). Of the two, I would prefer and do use my P/S,it glides very well and I like it. My historical favorite was a GE, and then GE got bought out by Black & Decker, and that one turned out well also.

My biggest current problem is finding one that will not shut off every time you sneeze - or breathe!

Marysewfun

Stitchit123 05-09-2011 05:48 PM

I ve got a Rival teflon it glides pretty good but its to light it won't de-wrinkle tissue paper so I went back to my Gramma's iron that I've been using for 50yrs+ its a Procter/Silex with a cloth cord its got some serious weight and the settings are still true No more new irons for me You can still fnd the oldies in 2nd hand stores for a couple dollars and live another 50 yrs

Rann 05-09-2011 06:20 PM

From my other quilting friends--Rival is the cheapest and the best.

writerwomen 05-09-2011 06:20 PM

We've been married 23 years and I've only had 2 full size irons. Both Black and Decker. I have abused them in many ways. My husband used to only wear dress clothes 7 days aweek and traveled extensively so the irons were rarely put away ( Now I have an upright steamer for that)

gotta-sew 05-09-2011 08:27 PM

I have the Rowenta Steam Master. I do love it. I've had it for several years now, works great.Good Luck!