Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Isn't there an easier way? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/isnt-there-easier-way-t266239.html)

onaemtnest 06-10-2015 10:44 AM

Isn't there an easier way?

Isn't there and easier way? I mean my eyes are getting old and to see 3/8" will drive me bonkers and that even count the miss-cuts.

Here is the portion of directions... 14 (6 3/8"-wide) strips. From strips, cut 84 (6 3/8") squares. Cut squares in half diagonally to make 168 half square triangles.

I know many times I see where people say cut the strips/squares up or to 6 1/2" and trim down but I don't 'get' how to do this when I have to cut them to make the half square triangles... I'm such a visual learner and the pattern from the magazine, which I purchased their download (FONS AND PORTERS QUILTY MAGAZINE NOV/DEC 2013 'Black Arrow') in the pattern it states there is a video but of course when I went to the website you have to subscribe to QNN to see the 'free' video.

I want to make the supposedly fast and easy quilt in patriotic colors for my brother who is about to start Radiation and Chemo treatments

luvspaper 06-10-2015 10:52 AM

You would want to cut your squares 6 1/2 by 6 1/2 inches. I don't cut my HSTS until after I have sewn the seams 1/4 inch on both sides of the diagonal. I use an iron to press the diagonal seam on one square and then place it on top and use that to work off my 1/4 inch seam. But you could cut first and deal with the bias seam. That might mean that you pull the square out of shape though.

Once both seams are done, I cut down the middle and press to the dark side. One pressed, I "square up" using a ruler that has a 45 degree angle line and I align that to the diagonal. It helps to have a square ruler and to mark off the total size with painters tape. Just don't forget you will need to have your 1/4 inch seams on the outside.

LyndaOH 06-10-2015 10:56 AM

Don't be frustrated! I think you're probably making it seem more difficult because it's such an important quilt for a special person.

Here's how I would do it:

Cut 14 (6 1/2" wide) strips. From strips, cut 84 6 1/2" squares. Cut them once diagonally to make your half square triangles. Pair them up and sew them together.

Your resulting triangle squares will be just a smidge larger than they are supposed to be. The pattern is using 5 1/2" finished triangle squares, so you need to trim these to 6" square and they'll be ready to use.

Someone else should double check me, but that's how I read it.

Take care, Onalee. I'll keep good thoughts for you and your brother.

onaemtnest 06-10-2015 10:58 AM

Well I guess I should post a link to the pattern on Fons and Porter as the half square triangle doesn't sew to another half square...I'm so sorry after your wonderful explanation luvspaper If you enlarge the picture an then see the black 6 3/8" point of the arrow then is sewn to the other pieces .... I hope that makes sense? https://www.shopfonsandporter.com/product/black-arrow-digital-pattern/shop-quilty/?template=sq

Tartan 06-10-2015 10:58 AM

If I have a tricky repeated measurement, I use a piece of painter's tape on my ruler to indicate the cutting line. I take my ruler to a good light (the halogen light on my Bernina) and use my Bernina magnifying glass to see the 1/8 th mark and put my tape there. I can also make a note or an arrow on the tape if needed.

PaperPrincess 06-10-2015 11:22 AM

This is basically the same method as leaving the square whole, drawing a diagonal line, sewing on either side of the line, then cutting on the line. In the F&P directions, they just tell you to cut on the line first. There are no extra steps, you just cut first then sew as opposed to sew first then cut.
When you need HST, and you are going to start out with squares that will be cut on the diagonal, you add 7/8" to the finished measurement. So to verify LyndaOH's math, a finished 5 1/2" HST (raw 6") would need a square that is cut at 5 1/2" + 7/8" which equals 6 3/8".
So basically cut the squares at 6 1/2".
Pair up the colors as the pattern tells you & make your HST
Then trim them down to 6". They will finish at 5.5".

LyndaOH 06-10-2015 11:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by onaemtnest (Post 7222772)
Well I guess I should post a link to the pattern on Fons and Porter as the half square triangle doesn't sew to another half square...I'm so sorry after your wonderful explanation luvspaper If you enlarge the picture an then see the black 6 3/8" point of the arrow then is sewn to the other pieces .... I hope that makes sense? https://www.shopfonsandporter.com/product/black-arrow-digital-pattern/shop-quilty/?template=sq

I see what you're saying. I'm including an EQ7 diagram of the block to see if I understand how it goes together. The grey area is the black in the pattern.

I think you'll still be fine cutting the strips at 6 1/2" and then cutting them diagonally once. When you sew them to the other half of the block, there will be a litte extra overhang but just align the long center seam with the other half of the block and leave that little extra at each end. You'll then trim your block to the correct size. Let me know if you want me to try and draw a little diagram of how to line of the two halves of the block.

onaemtnest 06-10-2015 12:18 PM

Thank-you everyone for your input and Lynda the visual is GR8! I will make a test block using the 6 1/2" strip and see if I'm understanding the way I think I'm understanding :0)

I know, I know I'm making the mountain out of the molehill but that is kind of my modus operandi, it seems when it comes to quilt patterns. I just hate to mess up and waste fabric.

(((Hugs to all)))

suern3 06-10-2015 02:34 PM

You might also try marking the cutting line on your ruler as someone else suggested, just to see how that works for you. Sounds like less refiguring, etc. Good luck on your quilt and I hope your brother does well with his treatment.

caspharm 06-10-2015 02:46 PM

If you want, there is a new Creative Grids ruler that just came out. I bought one at my LQS. It's called the Itty-Bitty Eighths (http://www.creativegridsusa.com/prod...=CGRPRG2&ref=c).