Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   its ok to donate... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/its-ok-donate-t231264.html)

IrishNY 09-28-2013 06:11 AM

Why don't you donate some of your quilts to Project Linus or Quilts of Valor directly? That means your children can just enjoy the ones they have and you can keep churning them out, knowing they are going to someone who will be comforted or honored by each quilt. I don't mind donating to Goodwill, but I would want my quilts to go to someone who I knew would feel like someone cared about them when they got it, just the way you want your family to feel when you give them a quilt. If I ever catch up on making quilts for family, that's what I plan to do.

Another bonus: after making quilts for PL or QOV for a while, your family will be really excited about getting a new quilt.

Jingle 09-28-2013 04:51 PM

I'm pretty sure one day there will lots of mine ending up at Goodwill. I now have about 39 quilts. All family, kids, GK, GGK friends, lots I don't know all have several of my quilts. I ran out of people that need a quilt. I just keep making them and don't plan on quitting any time soon.

carolaug 09-28-2013 07:10 PM

I do have others to make for of course for other family members and friends and I also donate to certain causes. I like to give my quilts for raffles vs just donating them...that is just me...my point was I love making them for my kids. I just don't want to overwhelm them with more quilts if they end up keeping them all. I want to make them more as there taste change...but want them to know they do not have to keep all the ones that I made in the past. They would never get rid of any that I made...unless I do tell them its ok to donate. Even then they may not.

lclang 09-29-2013 04:46 AM

Goodwill is quite expensive here and I know people who cannot afford to shop there. I prefer to donate to a local shelter's thrift shop and there are a couple of church thrift shops that sell much more cheaply and I feel that everyone can afford to shop there.

Jackie Spencer 09-29-2013 04:48 AM

I have 3 daughters and 10 GK's and 2 greats. They love the quilts I make and love to change them out. They have tablerunners and wall quilts besides their quilts, and I make them for all seasons and holidays. I told them I don't want flowers at my funeral just bring my quilts. I have been making quilts since the mid 70's.

AZ Jane 09-29-2013 06:42 AM

Instead of leaving it up to the kids, why don't you make the quilts to donate from the start. Then they don't have to worry about hurting their feelings. Just a thought.

sewbizgirl 09-29-2013 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin (Post 6318207)

And yes, I'd rather see someone donate something than tear it up, but honestly after it gets more or less "old/beat up/starts to rip", I don't mind anyone using it for an oil drop cloth or doggy bed.

The doggies love to get them in that condition!.

Jean in Ohio13452 09-29-2013 08:27 AM

Donate to Churches for their Fundraisers, small lap Quilts to Nursing Homes, Twin size quilts to Battered Women's Shelters and Child size Quilts for the Children there or the Foster Parent Program for the Children they get in the Middle of the night.. Children's Quilts to local Fire Dept. or Police, Sheriff, State Patrol offices so each officer can keep one in their Trunks for when they have to rescue or provide Safety for Children and Teens...These are all Good places to start... Then to donate to places that provide Free items to poor Families with Children or new babies like Birth Care etc... Local Hospitals- Neo natal units..( call first to ask what requirements) The Church I used to attend donated to Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital in Cleveland Ohio .

carolaug 09-29-2013 08:33 AM

Why would I do that??? I like making the quilts for them? I spend 100.00 on materials when I make quilts that are not scrappy. For those quilts I make for family. I make scrappy quilts when I donate for raffles...my point was I want my kids to know they can donate to Goodwill if their taste change and don't feel like they need to keep the quilts I gave them forever. I donate mine also when I have decide I have had it for a while and need a change. I work full time so most of my quilts are for family members. I donate cash mostly for causes and sometimes a few quilts that people raffle for their causes. One thing that drives me crazy is people always think we should make our quilts to donate to every cause...and always ask me to make quilts to donate.

Originally Posted by AZ Jane (Post 6320080)
Instead of leaving it up to the kids, why don't you make the quilts to donate from the start. Then they don't have to worry about hurting their feelings. Just a thought.

hperttula123 09-29-2013 08:36 AM

That is such a good way to look at it. I gave alot of old quilts away that were tied when we got the longarm. I like the quilted ones better(two people in my house still think tied ones are better and want them over quilted ones). I gave them to my daycare provider. She gave some of them to a family that didn't have alot of money. I don't care. They are being used. I'm glad that I could give them something that they would use. Not everyone values quilts the way we do and I understand that. Between myself and my mom, we have so many quilts in our houses and have given to family members that it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to have them pass them on. I do it myself(but I do have a stash of my favorites that we won't use anymore because they are getting really weak fabrics in them). We can't keep them all. :)