Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: its ok to donate...

Blog Entries

its ok to donate...

I love making quilts for my grown boys and their families. I am afraid I may be overwhelming them with quilts...though they never complain and say they love them all...I am thinking of telling them its ok to donate them if there are too many or...keep your favorites and donate the others...so I can make them more...; )

I hear many people get upset when seeing a quilt at goodwill. I see nothing wrong with it. I would rather give to goodwill and have a person pick the quilt for them...its double the donation....I donate to goodwill, they sell very cheap and the person who is buying it also donates a small amount and feels happy and good about their find/treasure.

so to my boys...go ahead and donate if you would like...but please wait a year or two... ; )

PS: They also got my first few quilts when I just learnt to sew and the first bindings...Yup...I should tell them to donate them they are not perfect by a long shot, I would rather them have one that is better done. I know they never will unless I tell them.
    Last edited by carolaug; 09-28-2013 at 03:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    Very thoughtful to give your sons permission to donate. Me I've not made enough to be OK with someone giving them away but I have told them if you don't want them it's OK to give them back. But just like my Mother I always "saved" the nice things and would never use a beautiful quilt. Now I tell everyone to use their quilts and don't save them for someone who will have absolutely no attachment to them.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    I come in at the non-sentimental value side. Once a quilt is given, it no longer belongs to you, so I also would rather the recipient regift or donate a quilt, than stuff it in a closet. I would also prefer they regift it than use it for a drop cloth or give it to the dog, but it is theirs to do with as they please. I don't usually make quilts specifically as gifts. I like the quilting process, make the quilt, have it hanging around my house and when someone sees it & comments positively, they often leave the house with it.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would much rather they donate as to see it end up in pieces on a garage floor with oil and grease.

Blog Entries
    I tell my daughter in law the same thing! So far the grandkids won't give any up...even their baby quilts still get snuggled once in awhile! The nine year old gds refused to give any up! Guess I should feel good about that!

Great idea to donate any unwanted quilt to Goodwill or any other charity.

I do something similar. I offer a quilt exchange for any recipient of a quilt I previously gave them. They can exchange one they have for one currently completed. I take the one that they "turned in" and donate it. I have had a few "bidding" situations , as occasionally two people want the same quilt. I have no issues that they are willing to part with a quilt I gave them previously, as I would rather have the quilts I make get used. I am happy they aren't sitting a on a shelf, they are happy they don't feel obligated to "store" a quilt they no longer want to use.... for what ever reason.

"I like the quilting process, make the quilt, have it hanging around my house and when someone sees it & comments positively, they often leave the house with it."

I've thought of doing that, too. I'm not at that point yet, still pretty new, but I'm leery of giving a quilt as a gift to someone who might not want it. So I thought maybe it would be better to just make the quilts I want to make, that give me satisfaction, and then look for opportunities to pass them on to someone who will like it.
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

Quote Originally Posted by JenelTX View Post
    "I like the quilting process, make the quilt, have it hanging around my house and when someone sees it & comments positively, they often leave the house with it."

I've thought of doing that, too. I'm not at that point yet, still pretty new, but I'm leery of giving a quilt as a gift to someone who might not want it. So I thought maybe it would be better to just make the quilts I want to make, that give me satisfaction, and then look for opportunities to pass them on to someone who will like it.
    That is really how I prefer to do it, but my DD just asked for a wedding quilt. I asked for a pattern. She and her fiance saw a pretty around the World at a quilt shop using 2" squares and fell in love with it. She told me that is what she wants and even sent me a color scheme.

Sure made it easier for me.

And yes, I'd rather see someone donate something than tear it up, but honestly after it gets more or less "old/beat up/starts to rip", I don't mind anyone using it for an oil drop cloth or doggy bed.

Blog Entries
    Love this idea!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I do something similar. I offer a quilt exchange for any recipient of a quilt I previously gave them. They can exchange one they have for one currently completed. I take the one that they "turned in" and donate it. I have had a few "bidding" situations , as occasionally two people want the same quilt. I have no issues that they are willing to part with a quilt I gave them previously, as I would rather have the quilts I make get used. I am happy they aren't sitting a on a shelf, they are happy they don't feel obligated to "store" a quilt they no longer want to use.... for what ever reason.

Why don't you donate some of your quilts to Project Linus or Quilts of Valor directly? That means your children can just enjoy the ones they have and you can keep churning them out, knowing they are going to someone who will be comforted or honored by each quilt. I don't mind donating to Goodwill, but I would want my quilts to go to someone who I knew would feel like someone cared about them when they got it, just the way you want your family to feel when you give them a quilt. If I ever catch up on making quilts for family, that's what I plan to do.

Another bonus: after making quilts for PL or QOV for a while, your family will be really excited about getting a new quilt.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm pretty sure one day there will lots of mine ending up at Goodwill. I now have about 39 quilts. All family, kids, GK, GGK friends, lots I don't know all have several of my quilts. I ran out of people that need a quilt. I just keep making them and don't plan on quitting any time soon.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I do have others to make for of course for other family members and friends and I also donate to certain causes. I like to give my quilts for raffles vs just donating them...that is just me...my point was I love making them for my kids. I just don't want to overwhelm them with more quilts if they end up keeping them all. I want to make them more as there taste change...but want them to know they do not have to keep all the ones that I made in the past. They would never get rid of any that I made...unless I do tell them its ok to donate. Even then they may not.

Goodwill is quite expensive here and I know people who cannot afford to shop there. I prefer to donate to a local shelter's thrift shop and there are a couple of church thrift shops that sell much more cheaply and I feel that everyone can afford to shop there.

I have 3 daughters and 10 GK's and 2 greats. They love the quilts I make and love to change them out. They have tablerunners and wall quilts besides their quilts, and I make them for all seasons and holidays. I told them I don't want flowers at my funeral just bring my quilts. I have been making quilts since the mid 70's.

Instead of leaving it up to the kids, why don't you make the quilts to donate from the start. Then they don't have to worry about hurting their feelings. Just a thought.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post

And yes, I'd rather see someone donate something than tear it up, but honestly after it gets more or less "old/beat up/starts to rip", I don't mind anyone using it for an oil drop cloth or doggy bed.
    The doggies love to get them in that condition!.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Donate to Churches for their Fundraisers, small lap Quilts to Nursing Homes, Twin size quilts to Battered Women's Shelters and Child size Quilts for the Children there or the Foster Parent Program for the Children they get in the Middle of the night.. Children's Quilts to local Fire Dept. or Police, Sheriff, State Patrol offices so each officer can keep one in their Trunks for when they have to rescue or provide Safety for Children and Teens...These are all Good places to start... Then to donate to places that provide Free items to poor Families with Children or new babies like Birth Care etc... Local Hospitals- Neo natal units..( call first to ask what requirements) The Church I used to attend donated to Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital in Cleveland Ohio .
    Last edited by Jean in Ohio13452; 09-29-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    Friend who can share your laughter and tears are the only ones you need.

Blog Entries
    Why would I do that??? I like making the quilts for them? I spend 100.00 on materials when I make quilts that are not scrappy. For those quilts I make for family. I make scrappy quilts when I donate for raffles...my point was I want my kids to know they can donate to Goodwill if their taste change and don't feel like they need to keep the quilts I gave them forever. I donate mine also when I have decide I have had it for a while and need a change. I work full time so most of my quilts are for family members. I donate cash mostly for causes and sometimes a few quilts that people raffle for their causes. One thing that drives me crazy is people always think we should make our quilts to donate to every cause...and always ask me to make quilts to donate.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
    Instead of leaving it up to the kids, why don't you make the quilts to donate from the start. Then they don't have to worry about hurting their feelings. Just a thought.
    Last edited by carolaug; 09-29-2013 at 08:40 AM.

That is such a good way to look at it. I gave alot of old quilts away that were tied when we got the longarm. I like the quilted ones better(two people in my house still think tied ones are better and want them over quilted ones). I gave them to my daycare provider. She gave some of them to a family that didn't have alot of money. I don't care. They are being used. I'm glad that I could give them something that they would use. Not everyone values quilts the way we do and I understand that. Between myself and my mom, we have so many quilts in our houses and have given to family members that it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to have them pass them on. I do it myself(but I do have a stash of my favorites that we won't use anymore because they are getting really weak fabrics in them). We can't keep them all.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

My brother loved wolves, so I made him a DPN 9 patch quilt, queen size, with wolves and trees for Christmas last year. He passed away Sept. 1 and I went 2000 miles to clean out his apartment. There was the quilt, wraped in plastic. He had a twin bed, as well. I took the quilt home. There is a wolf preservation society in my town, and I am going to see if I can donate it to them for a raffle to generate donations. Hopefully they will accept. Can't think of a better place for it, than to help the society and give pleasure to someone who loves wolves as well.

During a brutally cold winter I made a quilt for a child at the school where I was the nurse. I made it to his specifications with regard to pattern, color, etc. He professed to love it. A few weeks later, he told me he was cold but he had given the quilt away. I was so upset and I must admit I was a little rude. I explained to him that I was sad that he did not like my gift. However, in all his patience, he explained to me that he is not always cold, but his grandmother always has cold feet. So he gave her the quilt to keep her warm. After I hugged him with tears in my eyes, I told him how much of a wonderful lesson I had just learned.

He was a much better person than I and I will appreciate his lesson in giving forever. To this day, I remember him and wish him the best always.

Whenever I donate things from the house - I try to give to one of the childrens homes here - because they let the children pick first and then turn everything over to their resale store. Now if they do or not I dont know but it makes me feel good that maybe some child might get something that they wouldn't have otherwise. We always try to give to the kids first. Our daughter is a school teacher and one year we paid for lunches for one of her students that the dad would not feed. Kids are the first to suffer and my husband was a very badly abused child so we know what just a little kindness will do for a child. Just a thought on donations.

I agree with you totally. Love making quilts with a special person in mind, kind of motivates me. But after getting so many quilts, yes they should donate their lesser favorites. Your a wonderful person to give them the permission to do so and it gives you a good reason to keep making those quilts.

That is a wonderful gift. I always feel so guilty to part with anything someone gave me.
    Carol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast