Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I've been asked to make a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ive-been-asked-make-quilt-t228897.html)

AlienQuilter 08-27-2013 05:02 PM

I've been asked to make a quilt

My son started off by reminding me of the Dragon pillowcases I made him for his bed in the dorm, freshman year of college. It was that blue/black fabric form Wal-Mart. His friends went crazy over them and I wound up making about a dozen of them.

He informed me that one of his friends still has his pillowcases on his bed. I thought they would be worn out by now but my son says his friend loves those pillowcases. My son wanted to know if I would make his friend a dragon quilt for his bed. Since he takes good care of the pillowcases I'm betting his friend will take good care of a quilt.

I have made quilts and not even gotten a thank you for them. But hearing something like this makes me feel good. I know this kid (since I'm nearly 40 years older - he's a kid!) will appreciate it. I still have a lot of dragon fabric left over from my son's quilt. Just need to think of a pattern.

I have 3 panels cut out with 2 dragons facing one way and the third facing another. The panels are 12" X 24".

Should I stagger the panels? I'm wondering about flying geese? or would a braid pattern be good to separate the panels.

Here's what the dragon panels look like: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t218264.html

I did delectable mountains (from Quilters Cache) and put the bottoms together for that look.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Prism99 08-27-2013 05:21 PM

Wow! I really like the quilt you linked to. If it were me, I would just make another one of those! :D

KerryK 08-27-2013 06:34 PM

I have no suggestions, but ... The one you made your son is simply spectacular! Bold and beautiful! You do know that I'm a good friend of your son, too, don't you? Therefore, I'd like a dragon quilt, too, please! LOL

MaryMo 08-27-2013 06:43 PM

That is a beautiful quilt! I would do something similar. I like your idea of flying geese .... would they be placed on the outer border? Maybe something simple around the panel or panels so that they could shine. I look forward to seeing your completed project. BTW I agree that is much more pleasurable to give when you know it will be appreciated. Happy stitching!

michelleoc 08-27-2013 07:04 PM

What a sweet story. He'll love it, I'm sure.

BETTY62 08-27-2013 10:36 PM

I think the young man who you are making the quilt for will love it and care for it regardless of the pattern you use.

quiltingloulou 08-27-2013 10:47 PM

This panel is absolutely fabulous. If you are using more than one then yes, I think I would stagger them. However, the quilt on the link you supplied really is great.

JustAbitCrazy 08-28-2013 12:26 AM

I think he'll love and appreciate anything you make for him, and it seems like you'll enjoy doing it. Have fun with it!

AlienQuilter 08-28-2013 02:40 AM

Thank you for all the complements and the suggestions. The quilt in the picture is only as wide as the width of the minkee. The quilt I need to make needs to be queen size.

I like the suggestion about something simple around the panels. I still have a lot of black fabric that looks kind of scaley like it might be dragon skin and also have more of that red that is a dark red with tiny black spots. Which do you think would look better around the panels?

I also need to finish my DH's flannel lap quilt. As soon as I'm done with that I will start on this. Will try to post some pictures. Maybe a layout with the black and then one with the red and see which looks better.

orangeroom 08-28-2013 03:22 AM

If your son's quilt only has one panel, then I wouldn't put more than one on his friend's quilt. I know how my children would be. I'm assuming your son may be the same. "You made his with 2? I only have 1 in mine!" Also, I'd make this next one just a smidge bit easier than the one you made for your son.

Maybe only MY children are the jealous type...