Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I've been to the vets today. Now I need help. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ive-been-vets-today-now-i-need-help-t217296.html)

tessagin 03-26-2013 07:36 AM

This reply has nothing to do with grooming but thanks for the reminder about the vet. We had a 9:20 appt. when I was looking at this post the first time this morning at 8:50. We made it on time since we live only 5 minutes away. My girl Bianca will now be able to handle her arthritis. She and her sister are 9 years old. Anyway thanks for the unintentional reminder. BTW my neighbor has a hairless dog and she puts preemie and newborn shirts on it. His name is Harry. LOL!

carolynjo 03-26-2013 07:39 AM

Dottymo: Fleece is very warm.

LKopinski 03-26-2013 08:40 AM

I don't have dogs but I have made coats for my young alpacas. I use two layers of fleece (medium weight - Joann fabric) and 3" heavy duty hook and loop tape. It looks like others have posted several options for patterns. Good luck with this project.

bunbytes 03-26-2013 11:54 AM

I have made several coats out of fleece for a friends dog. It a Simplicity pattern number 3939 and Eddie Bowser is the style I used. I liked it because it has leg coverings for all 4 legs. It is pretty easy to make. I made several for him because when the weather became cool in Houston (we're not talking freezing) he would insist on wearing it inside the house and outside and he needed a fresh one when the one he was wearing was getting too doggy in scent.

Carol34446 03-26-2013 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A quick easy cheap way to have a coat that I use, take the sleeve of a sweet shirt. Use the cuff to go around the neck, seam on stomach and shorter on bottem than top [ATTACH=CONFIG]404579[/ATTACH] and cut who holes where legs go. They are soft and warm, easy to make, you can surge or fold under edges and you can make two with one sweat shirt and have one to wear when you wash the other one. We have bunches of dogs (raise Rat Terriers) and that ishow I make coats. Even take ribbing and body of shirt to make shirts from small to large. Make sure you make holes for legs large enough but we hve some dogs who love them, and they are warm an not much to get caught on things.

patdesign 03-26-2013 02:13 PM

I live in Florida and usually dogs do not need coats, I have pugs with short hair, but when I was visiting in Va and snow was on the ground I purchased some neat quilted fleece coats from Pet Smart or Walmart, can't remember which. Light weight baby T shirts slightly modified would work for inside and then add coats if the weather is cold outside or especially windy. Hopefully the de furring of your fur baby is temporary,
Pat

patdesign 03-26-2013 02:20 PM

You mentioned skin allergies, and I will tell you that one of my pugs had terrible allergies on her paws (we thought from grass) and lots of ear infections. After doing a bit of reading and chatting with other pet owners I decided to try them on a grain free diet and now feed them only Wild or similar brands with NO grain, there are NO problems now, and they have been on this diet which they both love for about a year. It has also helped with weight control since pugs tend to be PIGS and we now feed only that food and some of the pellets if they are due a treat.
Pat

flybreit 03-26-2013 04:23 PM

DottyMO - good luck with your little fluffs skin allergies. We have 3 fluffs but fortunately no skin issues. When the groomer talks about matting, please pay attention. The short haired dogs discussed on here don't have to worry about that. One of our dogs is cold all the time and before I knew better I let her wear her 'running suit' (covered all four legs) too long. Even with using DMat, working out those mats was no fun for either one of us!

Pepita 03-26-2013 07:57 PM

My sister's first Bischon frise had tremendous allergies, and would chew off all her fur if she could. My sister used the baby tops (undershirts) for her dog. She had to use them all her dog's life, and plenty of medication to help her as well. I would think that the undershirt, or small baby tops would be enough while inside. However, I am sure your dog goes outside too. I don't know if you have pet shops, but they do in the states. A quilted vest one with velcro that helps it fit right seems to work best on my cold natured dachshunds. If you don't have any shops there, perhaps you could go online and order one. I don't know how long it would take from where ever you order it, but you might be able to sew one more quickly. Good luck.

jeaninmaine 03-27-2013 04:56 AM

I have a 5 lb Yorkiepoo and her fur has to be cut every so often. During the winter months I keep it long because she gets cold. I've bought her some cute little coats on eBay. She loves her coats and sweaters, she comes running if I pick one up because it means she's going out. She's never had a problem with any of them making her raw anywhere.