Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I've been to the vets today. Now I need help. >

I've been to the vets today. Now I need help.

I've been to the vets today. Now I need help.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:36 AM

Default I've been to the vets today. Now I need help.

I have visited the vet with my youngest dog. She is going to be cut very short in ten days time. This cut is so short he suggests I make a quilted coat for her . Do any of you have pattern or now where I can find one. Fudge is a bishion frise small and aged 1year. Help I have ten days only.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 AM

http://sewing.about.com/od/freeproje...-Small-Dog.htm

I didn't click on the pdf to see what size this is, but I googled dog coat free pattern. There were other sites too.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Probably google will help!!!!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 AM

My dog loves her fleece shirts (posting info picture on left) -- I used a Vogue pattern -- the last ones I made are mock turtlenecks -- the pattern was a bit pricey, but with a Joann's coupon or pattern sale, the price was more reasonable -- the shirt is very easy to make and takes little time even making one for my 90+ lb lab -- but of course, there are free coat patterns....
Old 03-25-2013, 11:08 AM

Thank you I am hoping it will be very well quilted not one piece as it needs to keep he warm.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:37 AM

I am a professional dog groomer. Unless the dog will be living outside, he really doesn't need a coat to keep him warm. You can cover him with a blanket but unless he is used to wearing a coat, he could rub his front leg pits very raw the area around his neck also. Since the Vet reccommended the dog to be clipped short, my guess is that his coat has become very matted and tangled and that is the only option. I would strongley reccomend that you seek the help of a good groomer and get help in proper brushing and COMBING techinques. I tell all my clients that 10 minutes a day EVERY day, will keep your dog tangle free and he will look fantastic!! He can not groom himself.....that is your job and since he is only a year old, you have the next 12-15 years of coat care ahead of you. That said, you can try fitting a baby tee shirt on him for a quick fix. Run a drawstring around the dogs waist area, so it will not drag the ground or get wet with urine when he goes out. In 4-6 weeks, his coat will be about an inch long and he will be ready for another grooming. Most people can manage to control an inch of coat on their dogs and not run into mats and tangles. Good luck
Old 03-25-2013, 12:16 PM

Hi Dottymo,
My avatar, Tinkerbelle is always cold.....she is a Chihuahua. I made a Simplicity #3939 pattern for her. I used view A which has 4 little legs outof fleece..for the ribbing at the edges...I recycled some from a sweatshirt that I cut off the long sleeves. She loves it.

There are other views with short sleeves on this pattern...VERY easy to sew. Calls for 1/2 to 3/4 yards of fabric.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:16 PM

The dog may also have allergies. My vet suggested keeping our Cocker groomed short as pollen gets in his fur and makes him scratch.

Originally Posted by jodimarie View Post
I am a professional dog groomer. Unless the dog will be living outside, he really doesn't need a coat to keep him warm. You can cover him with a blanket but unless he is used to wearing a coat, he could rub his front leg pits very raw the area around his neck also. Since the Vet reccommended the dog to be clipped short, my guess is that his coat has become very matted and tangled and that is the only option. I would strongley reccomend that you seek the help of a good groomer and get help in proper brushing and COMBING techinques. I tell all my clients that 10 minutes a day EVERY day, will keep your dog tangle free and he will look fantastic!! He can not groom himself.....that is your job and since he is only a year old, you have the next 12-15 years of coat care ahead of you. That said, you can try fitting a baby tee shirt on him for a quick fix. Run a drawstring around the dogs waist area, so it will not drag the ground or get wet with urine when he goes out. In 4-6 weeks, his coat will be about an inch long and he will be ready for another grooming. Most people can manage to control an inch of coat on their dogs and not run into mats and tangles. Good luck
Old 03-25-2013, 03:52 PM

our min pin has such short hair, he wears a sweater all winter long, he weighs only 7 lbs., he also lays on the register when the blower blows. Sweaters seem to work better for him. We had a rat terrier that was bigger that I made fleece coats for.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:12 AM
Power Poster

You can get a dog coat pattern for only $1 at Wal Mart.