Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Alternative patterns for quilts for Vets? >

Alternative patterns for quilts for Vets?

Alternative patterns for quilts for Vets?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:03 AM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
jillaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California Girl exiled in DC
Posts: 1,337
Default

I love the idea of making quilts for returning vets.

But all of the ones I've seen have a patriotic theme. And in fact, it seems like the organizations that coordinate quilt donations to vets require such themes that usually include red, white and blue and stars.

I can't help but wonder if there are some returning vets who would prefer NOT to be reminded of their time over there, and would appreciate something entirely different.

What have you made for a returning vet that is of a non-patriotic theme? And can anyone recommend a quilt-donation-coordinating organization that doesn't require a particular theme?
jillaine is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 08:05 AM
  #2  
Super Member
 
jljack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
Posts: 7,940
Default

Most of the organizations do indeed require that the colors be mostly patriotic themed. I think that's the point of the Quilts of Valor and others that are similar.
jljack is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 08:06 AM
  #3  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
jillaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California Girl exiled in DC
Posts: 1,337
Default

Janice, Yes, it was Quilts of Valor that I was thinking of. I was all set to make a quilt to donate, but ran into this question of-- what about some other theme?
jillaine is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 08:06 AM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: KC MO
Posts: 1,318
Default

Well this is interesting..I wanted to make my son a quilt when he returned from Afghanistan. He asked specifically not to make anything red, white and blue or with ARMY on it. I just made a quilt that I would have made for anyone else and he loved it.
lisainmo is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 08:07 AM
  #5  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
jillaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California Girl exiled in DC
Posts: 1,337
Default

Do you have a photo of it, Lisa?
jillaine is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 08:21 AM
  #6  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,375
Default

Originally Posted by jillaine
Janice, Yes, it was Quilts of Valor that I was thinking of. I was all set to make a quilt to donate, but ran into this question of-- what about some other theme?
Unless things have changed recently, they would like the majority of quilts that are red, white, and blue--but there are are a certain amount of servicemen and women who would like other colors.
Sadiemae is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 08:41 AM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 8,248
Default

I made a bunch of quilts NOT red,white,and blue!!! I took them all to the VA hospital. They gave them to new returning vets. The families and vets loved them and many cried thinking theyd been forgotten!!
Painiacs is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 08:42 AM
  #8  
Super Member
 
patski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,104
Default

Originally Posted by jillaine
I love the idea of making quilts for returning vets.

But all of the ones I've seen have a patriotic theme. And in fact, it seems like the organizations that coordinate quilt donations to vets require such themes that usually include red, white and blue and stars.

I can't help but wonder if there are some returning vets who would prefer NOT to be reminded of their time over there, and would appreciate something entirely different.

What have you made for a returning vet that is of a non-patriotic theme? And can anyone recommend a quilt-donation-coordinating organization that doesn't require a particular theme?
our guild makes quilts in all colors for the wounded warriors, some don't want red,white and blue
patski is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 08:43 AM
  #9  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,375
Default

Originally Posted by Painiacs
I made a bunch of quilts NOT red,white,and blue!!! I took them all to the VA hospital. They gave them to new returning vets. The families and vets loved them and many cried thinking theyd been forgotten!!
And this is awesome, becuase you can make up your own rules! Not everyone wants to make them like QOV requires.
Sadiemae is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 AM
  #10  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: El Paso, Tx
Posts: 1,082
Default

We have made both. Some patriotic and some just regular fabrics, non red, white and blue. We need to make quick quilts so turning 20, rail fence anything fast. Wounded warriors do like both but most of the time they choose red, white and blue, others are the last to go. We get to take the lap quilts to the wounded warrior at Fort Bliss in El Paso, Tx. Our group enjoys meeting these young people and hearing their stories and getting hugs, the best part.
mzmama is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Grandma Peg
Pictures
21
08-12-2015 12:33 PM
pjsnsn
Pictures
14
04-15-2014 10:38 AM
newbee3
Pictures
5
12-19-2012 08:07 AM
PurplePassion
Pictures
12
10-29-2011 03:13 PM
dotcomdtcm
Main
4
07-04-2010 10:33 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.