Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Okay ladies, circle applique techniques >

Okay ladies, circle applique techniques

Okay ladies, circle applique techniques

Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 AM
Banned

Default Okay ladies, circle applique techniques

I'm in the middle of an applique quilt ...

Now after I'm done with the petals I'd like to put a bright yellow circle in the middle. The problem is that I'm not too good with getting smooth circles. Normally I wouldn't care, but this is for a rescue shelter raffle. I'm a hand quilter... so what's my best option?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:00 AM

I have a set of mylar templates, but if you can draw and cut out a circle, you can get the same result. Cut your circle the size you want FINISHED out of tempate material. Cardboard will work, but mylar would be better. Cut out a circle of fabric about 1/2 inch larger. Take a running stitch with a hand needle about 1/4 inch from where you want the edge of your circle to be. Cinch it up like a yoyo around the template. Starch or just press FLAT. Gently pull out the template. pull up the threads again if you want and press again. FLAT. turn it over and you should have a nice circle. If you need pictures, I can probably do some later today. PM me please if you want them. (you can also trim up that seam if you dont' want the stitching left in..but not super close. Clear as mud? lolol)
Old 03-27-2013, 06:03 AM
Cyn

How about a yo yo in the middle- easier to do!?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:23 AM

I use the same method described by soccertxi - it works great on circles, ovals, petals, leaves (even like the shapes in your photo), squares, triangles...so many shapes.... the bit of time you spend making the stiff patterns (old cereal/food package boxes work great but make sure the printed side of the box is NOT facing the fabric when you press) is more than made up in how quickly the applique piece is completed. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:33 PM

I would make yo yo's will be extra texture and they are not hard to sew on the center.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:58 PM

I use the same method described. Yo yo's would add fun texture.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:03 PM

I sew the circle to interfacing (right sides together), clip the interfacing, clip the edges, turn through that hole, it will come out smooth, then applique the circle down. You can use fusible interfacing if you want. The fusible side goes next to the right side of the fabric when you sew the circles together (DO NOT IRON), when turned, it will fuse the circle to the backing.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:38 PM

Oh my gosh! I want to learn to do appliqué! That looks hard!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:04 PM

Here's a Youtube video I just watched last night all about circle applique. Fun. It has the interfacing technique and the template technique without doing the running stitch, they just iron around the template with starch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7P0uzhF6uc
Old 03-27-2013, 05:38 PM
Banned

i use a heat resistant plastic (mylar) and put a bit of starch on the edge and iron the edge over the template and press it until flat. Then needle stitch. Another method is to use washable glue on the edge of the fabric and turn over the edge of the plastic.