Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Okay ladies, talk me into keeping this Instant Pot!

Okay ladies, talk me into keeping this Instant Pot!

I got a great deal on the Instant Pot in Kohl's last weekend and bought it completely on a whim. I got the 3 quart model because I'm only one person and I don't need to make recipes for 6 people LOL.

It's been sitting here in the box staring at me, and to be honest I'm a little afraid of the thing.

I've been on Pinterest madly pinning recipes for the 3 quart (most of the cookbooks that are out there are for the 6 quart model and I understand there is a learning curve to altering recipes).

Any comments? Suggestions? Do I hear an "atta girl open that thing?!"

(I think what I'm actually hearing in my head is my mom's voice from long ago. She was terrified of pressure cookers but then again, the old fashioned stove top ones from the 1940's that she remembered probably blew up a lot more than the new safer ones. At least, that's what I'm telling myself!)

If you're having second thoughts, bring it back, I have a pressure cooker and love it. Tried a hot pot and wasn't that impressed with it. Do you really need to cook meals quickly?

Well to be honest, I'm trying to get myself more "excited" about cooking. I always loved cooking and baking but now living alone, I seem to be eating a lot of bowls of cereal. I like to try new things and new recipes so I thought it might be a good choice for me.

Ah, jump in and go for it! When playing with recipes, you may discover some unique combinations.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    If you think it will actually motivate you to cook healthy meals for yourself, then absolutely keep it. I also live alone and could be cooking more often. I don't think a pressure cooker would help me much, but planning accordingly would.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

If you're wanting to be persuaded to keep it .... don't read this!

If you're wanting to be talked out of it ... here's my take on Instant Pots!
    I've been tempted several times.

Then I get a grip of it and ask myself ...
    Do I really want to learn a new way to cook? ... Nope, not really!

Besides, it's not like I need to find a way to eat more food.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

My Mom used a pressure cooker in the 1940's through 1950's. I quit cooking after my husband died. It isn't fun anymore. When I make chili or bar-b-que, I make it in a Dutch Over and allow it to simmer all day. Have thought of an Instant Pot and decided I don't need another cooking pot that I probably will not use. Don't need to hurry when cooking because I am retired and I have all day.

Hey! Why not keep it! You sound keenly interested in it and will use it. It is getting you into researching new recipes. So it seems like you are enjoying it already. Don't let others make decisions for you! Even if you end up using it only rarely, you don't have to feel guilty or answer to anyone about this. Just keep it and enjoy!

I am 70 and got an instant pot last year and love it. I live alone and cook for me and to share with my 88 year old Mom who lives across the street. I am not the "fanatic" that some of the online posters are about it in that they think they should cook everything in this new pot they got. I use it for things like steel cut oats, stone ground grits, dried beans, pot roast, chicken, pulled pork, rice, yogurt, boiled eggs (fresh from the hen and easy to peel in 5 min) frozen veggies,and even risotto NO STIRRING. I love just putting the ingredients in the pot, turning it on, setting a timer on my phone, and walking away.
    As for the fear..... With Twitter, Instagram Facebook, etc, any explosions, injuries, deaths etc from anywhere around the world would be instantly reported. Probably even be a "breaking news interrupt your current show" kind of thing. I have not heard of any, have you? I do follow the Facebook Instant Pot page (over 1.6 Million members) and several other FB pages about the Instant Pot. I really think if there was anything at all dangerous about this appliance, it would have been posted and shared immediately.
    I suggest you read up a bit more on the pot, look at some cooking times, think about what you cook and the time it takes to do it and whether you have to stand watch while it cooks or if you can go do other things while they cook.
    Cooking for myself is necessary and I don't want to spend anymore time than I have to. Love the conveniences that are available now......the robot vacuum, air fryers, Alexa or Google smarthome to help control some things in your home.
    Oh and by the way, I have the 6qt and think the 3qt would be too small for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
    Do I hear an "atta girl open that thing?!"
    "Atta Girl....Open that thing!!"

I was curious about the cult following of Instant Pot users. My son was one of them. For a long time I talked myself out of buying one because who needs another cooking utensil? But it was on sale... my downfall.

I bought the 6 quart because most of the recipes I read are for that size. Also, I like to cook once and not have to cook again for a while. I think the flavor of foods cooked in it are better. I never liked the taste of slow cooker meals.

It was not intuitive to use at the beginning. I called my son for advice quite a few times for instructions. Once I learned how, it's not hard.

One of the things that I found interesting is that I cannot hear the tone very well that it makes when the cooking is complete. I found this out when I was on the phone with my son talking about it, and he said it was finished. I was puzzled because I couldn't hear anything. When I strained to hear, I heard a faint beeping. He could hear it loudly on the speakerphone from across the room. I have some high-frequency hearing loss, and that beep is it. This does not ruin the food. I just have to look at the screen to see if it is finished cooking yet.

I'm not a cult follower but it has introduced me to some new recipes. I was kinda bored with the "same old - same old" foods that I was making. I probably wouldn't buy it again, but I don't hate it. I use it quite a bit. I definitely wouldn't buy the 3-quart.

I had a stove top pressure cooker & used it a lot. My rules: remove the seal & clean well every time, if seal looks stretched or wavy, get a new seal, always hold lid to the light so you can see light through the vent hole before sealing it on, don’t leave it unattended, read the manual. If one blows up, these rules weren’t followed.

I have an Instant Pot and love it to death. The instruction manual is poorly written but I knew enough to begin using it. I asked DD & DIL if they wanted one so bought for them. They are novices but both learned so much from You Tube so I highly recommend watching that. They wouldn’t give them up for anything. Son in Law raves about the good stuff she makes, so flavorful. Mine is 6 qt but I want to cook extra & freeze if necessary. I have the extra glass lid so mine works as a slow cooker too for 4 hours then switches to warm. The new one has a different system so no vent hole. 6 in 1 means it does 6 things (brown, steam, slow cook, boil, etc).

Its like everything, you have to jump in and use it and not let it be a counter decoration !

You ladies are THE BEST! So many great responses, thank you!

Blog Entries
    I say Go for it! I dont have one or even want one but since it caught your attention, try it and see if you like it.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    I too would take it back. cost to much not to use a lot. I have a pressure cooker my friend talked me into. hate it!! got a slow cooker which i use a bit.

Blog Entries
    I don't have one, but DD wanted one for Christmas, so we bought her one and gave it to her early. She makes a lot of hot tamales for friends and has used it several times already, said it saved her at lot of time. From start to finish, which includes cooking the pork loin to steaming the tamales, she said it took only about 4 hours vs 8 hour normally. I may or may not get one, haven't decided. But it is your choice, like all other appliances and other inventions, using the recommended safety instructions are the best. Merry Christmas all.

Well to be honest, I'm trying to get myself more "excited" about cooking. I always loved cooking and baking but now living alone, I seem to be eating a lot of bowls of cereal. I like to try new things and new recipes so I thought it might be a good choice for me.
    I think something new to cook in is a good idea to make yourself cook more. My criteria is always cost and do I have a place to store it? If the cost didn't pinch, and you have a place for it, I say keep it. Try some of those recipes you're looking up. It may turn out to be just what you need to make cooking fun again.

I have an electric pressure cooker that I use rarely. It does tenderize meat much quicker. By the time it heats up and the time to let the steam escape, I find that most common things can be cooked just as quick in a regular pot or in the oven. Now, my friend has one, and she cooks in it all the time! Different strokes for different folks. "smile" Another note: I freeze a lot of single serving foods when I overcook. I use Sandwich baggies and put them inside a larger freezer bag. Makes meals much simpler when I need a quick meal. I am about to go thaw out some Chicken Enchilada Soup. Perfect day for it.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries

instant pot

I got a great deal on the Instant Pot in Kohl's last weekend and bought it completely on a whim. I got the 3 quart model because I'm only one person and I don't need to make recipes for 6 people LOL.

It's been sitting here in the box staring at me, and to be honest I'm a little afraid of the thing.

I've been on Pinterest madly pinning recipes for the 3 quart (most of the cookbooks that are out there are for the 6 quart model and I understand there is a learning curve to altering recipes).

Any comments? Suggestions? Do I hear an "atta girl open that thing?!"

(I think what I'm actually hearing in my head is my mom's voice from long ago. She was terrified of pressure cookers but then again, the old fashioned stove top ones from the 1940's that she remembered probably blew up a lot more than the new safer ones. At least, that's what I'm telling myself!)
    Get on facebook and join the instant pot facebook group. There is a learning curve but these people will be so helpful. once you learn you will wonder how you lived without it. Also get a can of barkeepers friend to clean it with. makes cleaning so easy. Enjoy your new toy.

Blog Entries
    I had the “cereal and sandwich problem” when I lived alone, a crockpot was my solution. I made large meals (my normal size since my house was the gathering spot most days when my DDs were at home). I then bought quart zipper bags and froze the leftovers laying flat. I was able one month to eat only out of the freezer after a bad fall, and was very glad I had done it. You can even reheat the food in the zipper bag by placing it in a large pan of water.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I used to love my pressure cooker. Now, I love my Instapot more.

Go forth and make some stuff. You'll love it.

Start with risotto if you like that. You'll be shocked at how easy it is if you've ever made it before the regular way.

Then, toss in a small frozen roast and some root veg and end up with a roast beef dinner in no time.

My Mom makes rice pudding in hers.

Give it a try. I'm sure you'll find someone to take it off your hands if you don't like it.

Watson

I use my Insta Pot so far to cook beef roasts....they have turned out just wonderful. 40 minutes and delicious, can also add carrots and potatoes for 10 minutes .... wonderful, wonderful as my kids say.
    with a passion for quilting and vintage machines..Singers: 99, 4 featherweights, Redeye 66, Lotus 66, Phoenix 27, 15-91, 301A -- Janome 6600P and Janome embroidery 350 machine.
    Colleen S.

Blog Entries
    I have an InstaPot and LOVE it. I grew up hearing all the stories about Presto cookers blowing up and was a little apprehensive about using the InstaPot but got over it. Actually they do not get up to as high a pressure as the pots for the stove PLUS there are built in safeguards that will cause the pot to shut down if a problem arises. It takes the place of my crock pot (gave it away) plus it has a yogurt setting, cooks brown rice perfectly, etc... Can't say enough good things about my InstaPot.
    TwandasMom

I got my copy of Maria Emmerich's "Keto Instant Pot" recipe book yesterday. (This book will not be available until December 18, but she sent me one.) "130+ Healthy Low-carb Recipes for your Electric Pressure Cooker or Slow Cooker." She does a lot of explaining about Keto in all her books and then they are packed with recipes.
    Keto is a lifestyle way of eating: High fat, medium protein and low carbs. There is no sugar in this book.
    It's a beautiful book with piles of beautiful full-color pictures, and each recipe tells if it is gluten free, dairy, nut or egg free. And most recipes give options for using these or a substitute.
    Her other books have been available at Costco, but you can get in touch with her at: MariaMindBodyHealth.com
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    I went to a holiday program last week end and they demoed an Instant Pot. I was not impressed it took up more room than I have available. I love the process of cooking. Also, I have already seen Instant Pots at Goodwill for sale. I neither need or want one.
    Last edited by Aurora; 12-12-2018 at 03:56 AM.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast