Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: Pressure cooker vs. Instant Pot

  1. #1
    Senior Member quiltbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    435

    Pressure cooker vs. Instant Pot

    I've been tempted to buy an Instant Pot. I have a Fagor pressure cooker that I love but have been tempted by all the other things an Instant Pot can do such as make yogurt and slow cook and I do need a new slow cooker. I inherited an older electric pressure cooker that an elderly aunt had bought off of the Home Shopping Network and tried using it a few times but it took twice as long as something I would cook on my stovetop pressure cooker. My question is does the Instant Pot take longer than a stovetop pressure cooker?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Diannia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    926
    IDK the answer to your question but wanted to let you know you can make yogurt using a crock pot. I've done it many times and it turns out nicely...
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltbuddy View Post
    I've been tempted to buy an Instant Pot. I have a Fagor pressure cooker that I love but have been tempted by all the other things an Instant Pot can do such as make yogurt and slow cook and I do need a new slow cooker. I inherited an older electric pressure cooker that an elderly aunt had bought off of the Home Shopping Network and tried using it a few times but it took twice as long as something I would cook on my stovetop pressure cooker. My question is does the Instant Pot take longer than a stovetop pressure cooker?
    Just in case you are on facebook, there are groups dedicated to instant pot and/or pressure cookers. Lots of members here to help with your questions. I am thinking about an instant pot too. I use the old fashioned pressure cooker now.

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,119
    I don't have an answer either, but I'm sure interested in the Instant Pot because of all the different things it can do. I like the idea of being able to sauté and use as crockpot or pressure cooking, mainly because of what I've read here. Sounds perfect for our motorhome as it has so many uses. So I've been looking at Amazon and now I see the one I want says it will ship in 2 or 3 months. What's up with that? I know, I should ask Amazon

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    269
    Maybe they are waiting for shipment, especially if made in China. I'm sticking with my crockpot, have used them since their appearance on the market. They usually have a meal or dessert in them a couple times a week.

  6. #6
    dms
    dms is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    148
    The instant pot takes a little bit longer than a stove top because stove tops are 15psi and electronic pressure cookers are about 12psi, but the electronic ones are worth every penny. You can literally set it and walk away, there is no noise like the stove top jigglers, they don't burn like the stove top ones. I use mine which is an Elite several times a week. They are wonderful.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Philomath,Ore
    Posts
    387
    I bought the Instant Pot using a Black Friday sale thru Amazon (bought 2 for gifts also). I bought it because my daughter raves about hers, and uses is several times a week. I like it, especially for roasts and pulled meats. I takes longer than a stove top one, but the time isn't significant. I wouldn't buy another one unless it was a terrific sale - they are expensive!
    BJ

  8. #8
    Member doricu2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    florence ky
    Posts
    63
    Blog Entries
    9
    I had another brand electric pressure cooker which I liked and then daughter talked me into the instant pot. I really love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. Its so much better than the other. I would recommend that if you get one for you to get the 8qt. duo. the extra dollars are so worth it. It is just me and hubby and I use it at least 3 times a week and making the yogurt is so easy and is way better tasting than store bought.

  9. #9
    Super Member misseva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    2,425
    Blog Entries
    3
    I never used my stove top pressure cooker much - scared of it exploding. I love my Instant Pot. Automatic, safety shut off if something goes wrong. Did I mention I love my Instant Pot? Gave my crock pot to my daughter.
    TwandasMom

  10. #10
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    8,580
    I had some experience with a stove top pressure cooker a long time ago. I had to babysit it. Gave it away. Got the instant pot a couple of months ago and love it. There are some tricks to get it to come up to pressure faster like turning it to sauté before you get anything in it and heating the liquids a bit - I love that I can put the ingredients in and set it and go about my business and then there is a delicious meal. I've made rice "pot in a pot" on top of the meal and it comes out great. I've cooked more since I got the Instant pot than in the last year. I haven't used it as a slow cooker - I have several of those. I also like that you can cook frozen meat and it comes out good. I am a fan.
    Alyce

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by doricu2 View Post
    I had another brand electric pressure cooker which I liked and then daughter talked me into the instant pot. I really love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. Its so much better than the other. I would recommend that if you get one for you to get the 8qt. duo. the extra dollars are so worth it. It is just me and hubby and I use it at least 3 times a week and making the yogurt is so easy and is way better tasting than store bought.
    I usually buy plain nonfat Dannon yogurt...can you make non fat yogurt in the instant pot? Wondering what ingredients do you use to make yogurt?

  12. #12
    Senior Member quiltbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    435
    I thank everybody for their response to my question and will wait for good price on an Instant Pot.

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltbuddy View Post
    I thank everybody for their response to my question and will wait for good price on an Instant Pot.
    I have seen them at Amazon for $99 for the duo...maybe Black Friday might beat that. I prefer to buy local in case it doesn't meet my expectations, and it is easier to return that way.

  14. #14
    Super Member Watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,291
    I do believe the stove top pressure cooker is faster than the electric ones.
    For example, I put a roast in and it took almost 2 hours before it was tender. The book said something like 25 minutes. I took it out and it was still bloody inside. For a pot roast!
    I could do that in my stovetop pressure cooker in 30 minutes or so.
    Modern pressure cookers are so foolproof, they are very safe and yes, you do have to adjust the burner to keep the jiggle at the right tempo, but there isn't much to that.
    One thing I've found that the Instant Pot is great at is, of all things, risotto. No more stirring for 30 minutes. I was impressed. And I'm a chef!
    I think the Instant Pot definitely has its place but the stove top pressure cooker can still be useful, too.

    Watson

  15. #15
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    8,580
    http://www.number-2-pencil.com/2016/...ip-sandwiches/

    I made this last night. It was the second time I've made it. Came out perfect both times.
    Alyce

  16. #16
    Super Member plainpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,813
    Blog Entries
    11
    I don't care for slow cook mode in the Instant Pot.It doesn't heat all around the container,just from the bottom.Not sure if that is the difference,but don't see many posts using slow cook mode.
    Pat

  17. #17
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    8,580
    Quote Originally Posted by plainpat View Post
    I don't care for slow cook mode in the Instant Pot.It doesn't heat all around the container,just from the bottom.Not sure if that is the difference,but don't see many posts using slow cook mode.
    I don't know if you use Facebook, but, if you do, there is an Instant Pot Community that has a lot of good information. some people like the slow cook function but many have just adapted their slow cook recipes to the Instant Pot. Of course not all recipes will convert, I don't think, but many will. I have only had my Instant Pot since mid December, but haven't used the crockpot since then.
    Alyce

  18. #18
    Super Member Chasing Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,668
    What is the difference between this one: http://instantpot.com/
    and
    this one? (I have this one): https://www.cuisinart.com/products/s...ances/cpc-600/

    Mine sautes, has a slow cooking mode (simmer) and is programmable. I wouldn't leave raw meat in mine for hours when using the programmable timer. Seems very dangerous and invites germs and other icky things to the table.

    I usually use my pressure cooker for spaghetti sauce and making my own stocks for soup bases.
    Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 02-16-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

  19. #19
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    8,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    What is the difference between this one: http://instantpot.com/
    and
    this one? (I have this one): https://www.cuisinart.com/products/s...ances/cpc-600/

    Mine sautes, has a slow cooking mode (simmer) and is programmable. I wouldn't leave raw meat in mine for hours when using the programmable timer. Seems very dangerous and invites germs and other icky things to the table.

    I usually use my pressure cooker for spaghetti sauce and making my own stocks for soup bases.
    Probably similar to a Honda vs Nissan. Same idea, different features. the Instant Pot has a stainless steel liner. Amazingly it is very easy to clean.
    Alyce

  20. #20
    Super Member misseva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    2,425
    Blog Entries
    3
    I love the stainless steel liner feature. And yes, it is very easy to clean. Much lighter then a 'crock'.
    TwandasMom

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,677
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't know anything about the Instant Pot ,,,But I have a Electric Pressure Cooker I brought from a QVC store for $25.00 a long time ago best thing I've had in the kitchen in a long time I have 3 Pressure cookers for the stove top but i love my Electric Pressure Cooker ,,,That's just my 2 cents

  22. #22
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    8,580
    Any of you who do crafty I read on the Instant Pot Community Forum on Facebook that someone took an Instant Pot class on Crafty! I can't get it to open for me, so can't report further.
    Alyce

  23. #23
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    8,580
    Well if one types it in correctly it does come up. There is a pressure cooker class on craftsy
    Alyce

  24. #24
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    I love the stainless steel liner feature. And yes, it is very easy to clean. Much lighter then a 'crock'.
    I have heard that the instant pot is more user friendly than some of the other brands. So if I ever decide to replace my old cooker I'll go with Instant Pot.

  25. #25
    Super Member blondeslave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Airmont, NY
    Posts
    3,229
    My IP Duo is being delivered today. I hope it's as good as people say.
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.