Old 03-25-2013, 11:37 AM
jodimarie

I am a professional dog groomer. Unless the dog will be living outside, he really doesn't need a coat to keep him warm. You can cover him with a blanket but unless he is used to wearing a coat, he could rub his front leg pits very raw the area around his neck also. Since the Vet reccommended the dog to be clipped short, my guess is that his coat has become very matted and tangled and that is the only option. I would strongley reccomend that you seek the help of a good groomer and get help in proper brushing and COMBING techinques. I tell all my clients that 10 minutes a day EVERY day, will keep your dog tangle free and he will look fantastic!! He can not groom himself.....that is your job and since he is only a year old, you have the next 12-15 years of coat care ahead of you. That said, you can try fitting a baby tee shirt on him for a quick fix. Run a drawstring around the dogs waist area, so it will not drag the ground or get wet with urine when he goes out. In 4-6 weeks, his coat will be about an inch long and he will be ready for another grooming. Most people can manage to control an inch of coat on their dogs and not run into mats and tangles. Good luck