Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I've gone and done it now.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ive-gone-done-now-t145899.html)

cizzors 08-17-2011 07:19 PM

My sister brought her FW to me and it stunk! I got a large ziplock and crushed some charcoal briquettes (sp?) into it. Took the case with the machine inside, smushed the opened ziplock into the case and shut the lid as best as I could and let it sit on the patio for 48 hrs. Took care of about 90% of the stink. I think once it's cleaned of the old oil the smell will be gone.

Prism99 08-17-2011 08:00 PM

That's a great deal!

To get the smell out of the box, I bought a pair of Odor-Eaters charcoal shoe inserts and put one in the box with the machine. After a couple of weeks, no odor. I actually like keeping it in there, as it provides some cushioning between the foot pedal and the bed of the machine.

I had tried a *lot* of things before the Odor-Eaters -- airing out, soap, fabric softener sheets (added a sickening sweet smell to the moldy odor!) -- and nothing worked.

ewecansew 08-17-2011 09:02 PM

Where is it outside? Oh, don't give the address or it will not be there in the morning. LOL Congratulations. great buy.

Gramof6 08-18-2011 12:50 AM

Mine stunk also. I had it cleaned and gone over real good and it came back with no odor. The old oil and grease can go rancid I would assume. So clean that baby up or have it done. It will be fine. I did buy a new case for it off of Ebay for $60. It is a great replica of the original cases which is fine with me. Congratulations on your great deal!!!

ywoodruff5 08-18-2011 03:17 AM

Too funny....and I totally understand your not wanting to let anyone know. So I guess I'll fess up too - I learned on a featherweight and couldn't wait to get a "modern" machine. And I too, wasn't interested in getting one until this board.....tomorrow I'm going to an estate sale that has "antique quilts and sewing machine" for sale.....lol. 8-)

miriam 08-18-2011 03:23 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45983-1.htm
I'm thinking there or the vintage sewing machine shop might have info on getting the old glue/musty smell out of the case. Try setting it in the sun - dryer sheets - there are other ideas out there - there is a FW user group on here too.

GABBYABBY 08-18-2011 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by joym
OMG...I got a real FW...it is a FW....whoopie. have to wait for the smell to go away so I can bring in the house and post a picture. Now where the heck will I put it!!!! I don't have room!!! :?

Find something of your husbands and move it somewhere
else and put your FW there!!! ha ha ha
(just kidding) That is what I tell my husband when he
tells me there is no more room for anything else in this
house.

Quilt Fan 08-18-2011 04:52 AM

If you use search and look for featherweight there will be suggestions about the smell. The one machine I found last year was very clean but smelly. The biggest problem seems to be the animal glue used in making the case. Ordor Eaters (for feet) did the best job for me. Also on the bottom of the machine there should be a felt washer. Remove that and replace with some batting or felt until you can get a replacement. The odor on the machine will clear up fairly soon. The case is another story.

joym 08-18-2011 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by cizzors
My sister brought her FW to me and it stunk! I got a large ziplock and crushed some charcoal briquettes (sp?) into it. Took the case with the machine inside, smushed the opened ziplock into the case and shut the lid as best as I could and let it sit on the patio for 48 hrs. Took care of about 90% of the stink. I think once it's cleaned of the old oil the smell will be gone.

sounds like a good solution..... I will try it. it may be the case and it is no good so plan to throw it out. I wonder if I should take it to a repair shop to have it gone over and cleaned up ? I am always scared to take things apart myself. thanks for your input

Maire 08-18-2011 05:09 AM

It is difficult to get the musty smell out of the case but not impossible, but for the machine take off the bottom plate, check out the felt drip pad, that is probably the cause of the machine smell if it has absorbed the musty smell. Google "glenn Miller 221 parts" & you'll find a source for parts, he sells the felt pads, rubber feet (a good chance they are worn down), bobbin winder tires, etc,
very reasonable.