Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I've got a problem! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ive-got-problem-t187578.html)

carol45 04-29-2012 07:52 AM

I've got a problem!

1 Attachment(s)
So I stitched piano keys in the ditch, like 350 of them. At the end of each line of quilting, when I got off the quilt, I used the auto knot feature on my machine. Then when I squared off my quilt to bind it, I cut off all those little knots--I can't believe I did that. So now that it's bound, I have all these loose threads sticking out.
I was guessing that I need to unstitch each one, knot it on the back, and then machine SID along the places that it's become unstitched. Does anyone have a better idea?
I am not a happy camper.

crafty pat 04-29-2012 08:30 AM

I sure feel for you, I did this by not back stitching on blocks I had made. There was nothing I could do but undo and redo. It is a lot of work, but I can't think of another way. Maybe someone here can help with a better idea. Good luck.

cathyvv 04-29-2012 08:37 AM

I think I would be very tempted to re-bind (or just add another binding over the current one) so that the binding covered the threads and kept the threads from unraveling further. But I don't know how that will affect the beauty of your quilt, so it may not be a good solution.

dunster 04-29-2012 08:49 AM

Don't you hate it when something like that happens? I think I would be tempted to just cut off the loose threads, then quilt along those ditches again, right up to the binding. I don't think the old quilting would come loose again with the new stitching on top of it - though that could be wishful thinking.

Tartan 04-29-2012 08:54 AM

350????? You have my sympathy! I can't think of any other solution that you would be happy with other than what you posted. Bummer!

jodimarie 04-29-2012 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 5179856)
i think i would be very tempted to re-bind (or just add another binding over the current one) so that the binding covered the threads and kept the threads from unraveling further. But i don't know how that will affect the beauty of your quilt, so it may not be a good solution.

i will put this tip into my bag of tricks!!!! What a great idea........

Rose L 04-29-2012 09:46 AM

I would do what Dunster suggested. Unless it's a show quilt of course.

Holice 04-29-2012 09:56 AM

My advice to students is never, never, never, ever, ever, use the auto cut when machine quilting. Your situation give the reason.

QM 04-29-2012 09:56 AM

Argh!!! I was feeling silly because ONE SITD thread end came loose. I feel for you.

I love the machine cut, but I prefer to backstitch rather than use the stitch in place that leaves a little lump.

carol45 04-29-2012 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rose L (Post 5180001)
I would do what Dunster suggested. Unless it's a show quilt of course.

That's what I was trying to describe when I originally posted. It looks like that's what I'm going to have to do.