Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I've Got a Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ive-got-question-t296530.html)

diamondee 04-27-2018 09:19 AM

I've Got a Question

I'm not sure if this idea has been addressed before, or if it is something in my mind bubbling to the surface.
If you make a baby size quilt to start with, leave an inch of space around the perimeter when quilting the sandwich, can it be added onto later in a quilt as you go fashion? So the quilt will grow with the child? I want to add wide boarders to a baby quilt in fabric that shows what the child interest are at the time, so when they are an adult it will almost be like a time capsule.
Will it look weird not being quilted all the way to the binding? Thanks, Dee

Krisb 04-27-2018 09:28 AM

This sounds like a great idea, and you can quilt the borders as they are added if you like. Sounds like a book—“The Grow With Me Quilt”.

QuiltnNan 04-27-2018 10:25 AM

I like that idea

PamelaOry 04-27-2018 10:45 AM

Cool idea! Would it work to just take off the binding and add from there?

Kassaundra 04-27-2018 10:59 AM

That is an amazing idea. It could be done by a couple of quilt as you go methods. Cut off the binding and stitch and flip the new border on the edges and quilt after they are added, or make and quilt the borders then do a normal qayg technique w/ a narrow sashing.

Stitchnripper 04-27-2018 11:59 AM

I have added borders to a quilt after it was quilted before the binding but same idea. I found a tutorial and I put the bottom border and batting under the quilt and top border on top and it worked great.

dunster 04-27-2018 12:07 PM

You can definitely add on to a quilt after it's been finished, whether or not you quilt all the way to the binding. Of course the inner part of the quilt may get worn out somewhere along the way if the quilt gets lots of use.

Barb in Louisiana 04-27-2018 12:29 PM

I think your idea is wonderful. I do pantographs on my quilts so they are always edge to edge quilting. By cutting the binding off, you will probably lose about 1/2 inch or maybe a little bit more of the last border. It would be cool to have a label on the back for the original quilt, then another one each time you add to it. It's too bad we are going to be years seeing how your project works out.

M.Elizabeth 04-27-2018 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 8048452)
Of course the inner part of the quilt may get worn out somewhere along the way if the quilt gets lots of use.

This was my first thought, as well.

zozee 04-27-2018 02:44 PM

I like this idea. My only caveat would be to choose a rather plain, unpieced border on the current one, so that you don't risk cutting off any patchwork. In other words, my outer border before the binding would be either be a strip of solid or print, but nothing pieced.

Another idea is, instead of binding, to use the birthing method. That would save a lot of time in the short run . Again, use a very simple border near the outermost seam so you don't have to cut into precious pieced areas.