Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I've got them well trained. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ive-got-them-well-trained-t222101.html)

quilter1 05-23-2013 12:10 PM

I've got them well trained.

All the men in my family know to give me their unwanted shirts and ties- no thrift shops for them! My nephew is moving and doing the purge, bless his heart. Today he brought me 29 silk ties and 16 cotton shirts. Yea- more for my stash. I am collecting ties for a quilt, am up to about 150, another 70 or so to go! When I think of all the XL men's shirts I have given away when I could have used the fabric. Now I know better.

Tartan 05-23-2013 12:22 PM

I want to do the apron out of a man's shirt that someone posted a link to. I also have a bin of ties for a future project. The bin has been sitting in my sewing room for about 3 years so far and I hope to get a Bow Tie quilt done before the 5 year mark.:D

Dina 05-23-2013 12:23 PM

Yup, I'd say you do have them well trained, and what a nice boost to your stash!!

Dina

QuiltE 05-23-2013 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6081298)
I want to do the apron out of a man's shirt that someone posted a link to. I also have a bin of ties for a future project. The bin has been sitting in my sewing room for about 3 years so far and I hope to get a Bow Tie quilt done before the 5 year mark.:D

I started my tie stash with a clear out day at the local Thrift ... fill a bag for $2. I stuffed that bag all with ties!

I'm thinking for some fun ... for the apron/shirt to use a tie for the "ties" instead of the shirt fabric. And/Or to make a bow tie, to attached to the neck of the shirt/apron!

QuiltnNan 05-23-2013 03:02 PM

i saw an ad on CL for ties but it was not close enough to me to make it worth the gas to go get them :)

nativetexan 05-23-2013 03:03 PM

Ha, ha. I used to drool over visitors to the office I used to work in. their shirts, ties, watches and rings.

Sewnoma 05-23-2013 03:47 PM

I am the only female in my department at work and all the guys know that when they're talking to me and I get a certain glazed look that I'm fantasizing about stealing their tie and/or shirt for a quilt.

It's become sort of a 'pet' joke... "You're thinking of ripping my clothes off again, aren't you?" "Why yes! Yes, I am!" LOL

quiltingranny 05-24-2013 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 6081557)
I am the only female in my department at work and all the guys know that when they're talking to me and I get a certain glazed look that I'm fantasizing about stealing their tie and/or shirt for a quilt.

It's become sort of a 'pet' joke... "You're thinking of ripping my clothes off again, aren't you?" "Why yes! Yes, I am!" LOL

That is "too funny"!!!!

ljptexas 05-24-2013 04:49 AM

Another great project for ties! I made a Dresden Plate out of my passed DH ties. It turned out so pretty & it's an heirloom from something of his... Plan to make one of each for my DS & DD...

klgls 05-25-2013 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by ljptexas (Post 6082252)
Another great project for ties! I made a Dresden Plate out of my passed DH ties. It turned out so pretty & it's an heirloom from something of his... Plan to make one of each for my DS & DD...

Great idea. I'm going to remember that. TFS.