Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I've got them well trained.

Blog Entries

Smile I've got them well trained.

All the men in my family know to give me their unwanted shirts and ties- no thrift shops for them! My nephew is moving and doing the purge, bless his heart. Today he brought me 29 silk ties and 16 cotton shirts. Yea- more for my stash. I am collecting ties for a quilt, am up to about 150, another 70 or so to go! When I think of all the XL men's shirts I have given away when I could have used the fabric. Now I know better.

Power Poster
    I want to do the apron out of a man's shirt that someone posted a link to. I also have a bin of ties for a future project. The bin has been sitting in my sewing room for about 3 years so far and I hope to get a Bow Tie quilt done before the 5 year mark.

Yup, I'd say you do have them well trained, and what a nice boost to your stash!!

Dina

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I want to do the apron out of a man's shirt that someone posted a link to. I also have a bin of ties for a future project. The bin has been sitting in my sewing room for about 3 years so far and I hope to get a Bow Tie quilt done before the 5 year mark.
    I started my tie stash with a clear out day at the local Thrift ... fill a bag for $2. I stuffed that bag all with ties!

I'm thinking for some fun ... for the apron/shirt to use a tie for the "ties" instead of the shirt fabric. And/Or to make a bow tie, to attached to the neck of the shirt/apron!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    i saw an ad on CL for ties but it was not close enough to me to make it worth the gas to go get them
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Ha, ha. I used to drool over visitors to the office I used to work in. their shirts, ties, watches and rings.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I am the only female in my department at work and all the guys know that when they're talking to me and I get a certain glazed look that I'm fantasizing about stealing their tie and/or shirt for a quilt.

It's become sort of a 'pet' joke... "You're thinking of ripping my clothes off again, aren't you?" "Why yes! Yes, I am!" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    I am the only female in my department at work and all the guys know that when they're talking to me and I get a certain glazed look that I'm fantasizing about stealing their tie and/or shirt for a quilt.

It's become sort of a 'pet' joke... "You're thinking of ripping my clothes off again, aren't you?" "Why yes! Yes, I am!" LOL
    That is "too funny"!!!!

Another great project for ties! I made a Dresden Plate out of my passed DH ties. It turned out so pretty & it's an heirloom from something of his... Plan to make one of each for my DS & DD...
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

Quote Originally Posted by ljptexas View Post
    Another great project for ties! I made a Dresden Plate out of my passed DH ties. It turned out so pretty & it's an heirloom from something of his... Plan to make one of each for my DS & DD...
    Great idea. I'm going to remember that. TFS.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My DH has finally learned to give me anything he isn't going to wear anymore.

Love the Dresden plate idea! You are all so clever!

I've saved my late husbands tshirts for quilts for our twins. Thanks to whoever posted the antique handkerchief crazy quilt, now i finally have a pattern idea i love for them!