Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What do you prefer.......

What do you prefer.......

Which do you all like best for marking fabric. I've tried many, even bought the expensive fabric markers but they don't seem to mark so that I can easily see the mark, so I have resorted to using sharpies.

I tried the Frixion markers available at office supply stores for the first time last week and am very happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie luv View Post
    Which do you all like best for marking fabric. I've tried many, even bought the expensive fabric markers but they don't seem to mark so that I can easily see the mark, so I have resorted to using sharpies.
    Sharpies are permanent so I am assuming you are looking for a way to make labels so that the marks are permanent. Sharpies can also fade away over time. I prefer Micron Pigma pens. They are archival and permanent as long as you heat set them with an iron. If I really want to make sure my label never fades I embroider it, by hand as I don't have an embroidery machine.

Edited to add, I believe the previous poster who wrote about frixion pens, misunderstood your post thinking you were looking for a tool that left a REMOVABLE mark for marking out your quilting designs prior to quilting them.
    Last edited by feline fanatic; 06-03-2013 at 05:35 AM.

I tend to print (using printer) right on the fabric. For signature blocks, I've used the gel pens. They're permanent. The Sharpies tend to bleed while you're writing, although I have used them for some things.

What kind of marking are you referring too? For marking stitching patterns for quilting, I use the blue washable marker or Crayola Washable Markers Fine Point. I do recommend the Crayola brand. I have used off brands and had problems getting the marks out but not with the Crayola brands. For permanent marking I would use one of the markers recommended in previous postings.
    Crashnquilt

Wouldn't you like to live with my mind just for a moment? I wish you would, I think I need to get OUT OF IT!