Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I've never used minky- any tips? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ive-never-used-minky-any-tips-t303921.html)

SusieQOH 03-30-2019 05:00 AM

I've never used minky- any tips?

Hi friends,
With a baby granddaughter on the way I am of course thinking of baby quilts!
I've heard a little about minky for backings but have no experience using it.

I plan to machine or maybe hand quilt it.

Any tips? TIA

Susie

Tartan 03-30-2019 06:09 AM

I wouldn’t recommend hand quilting unless you use big stitch as the pile would make regular hand quilting a chore. A lot use it on their long arm but unless it is a small quilt, quilting on a sewing machine might make it difficult to stuff through the machine harp.

ckcowl 03-30-2019 06:28 AM

I love Minky backed quilts and make a lot of them. Tips- smooth don’t stretch, use a new sharp needle, use a big ( open) quilting design. I usually just do large swooping waves, curls, meandering. I do use batting which helps keep it from sliding around but we live in a cold climate. Some people do not use batting- it’s up to you.

Doggramma 03-30-2019 06:40 AM

When you cut into it use a vacuum cleaner along the edges to get rid of the fuzz.

Quiltah Mama 03-30-2019 06:59 AM

I love minky backed baby quilts. I live in Maine and only make minky backed quilts during the summer months when I can cut, shake, and layer the minky, quilt flimsy, and batting outside on my picnic table due to the shedding. So I have to plan ahead.

QuiltE 03-30-2019 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma (Post 8233095)
When you cut into it use a vacuum cleaner along the edges to get rid of the fuzz.

DogGramma .... Does that stop it?
Or does it keep shedding, until you get the seams enclosed inside the finished quilt?
Thanks!

copycat 03-31-2019 02:08 AM

I read a great tip in a quilting magazine about working with minky. Before cutting the minky, wear a robe over your outfit. The robe should be the silky-like, shiny material. Now the minky won't stick to your clothes and saves you from using a lint roller.

TheMerkleFamily 03-31-2019 03:26 AM

Congratulations on the news of your baby granddaughter!

I've made a few minky baby/lap quilts recently and had great experiences after receiving excellent advice from others here on the QB..

- consider pre-washing your cotton fabric (if you don't already) as minky is poly so it won't shrink as much as the cotton will
- I used batting in mine but others suggest you can omit batting if you'd like a thin quilt
- yes, vacuum cut edges right away to minimize the mess and definitely have a lint roller handy!
- I spray basted one and simply pinned the other (closely) and both quilted beautifully
- I used a 90/14 Topstitch needle
- I used Bottom Line thread (poly)
- Quilted with a walking foot on my Juki DSM

Both minky quilts finished beautifully and they definitely make the best baby quilts! Super soft and snuggly but I wouldn't want to wrestle around anything larger than a lap quilt on my DSM as minky is certainly heavier.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures!

SusieQOH 03-31-2019 05:35 AM

Thanks so much to all who chimed in! I cannot wait to get started :)

I probably won't hand quilt it afterall. Sounds a bit bulky for that.

mengler 03-31-2019 05:50 AM

Minky

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8233544)
Thanks so much to all who chimed in! I cannot wait to get started :)

I probably won't hand quilt it afterall. Sounds a bit bulky for that.

All great tips. You can throw in the dryer on air fluff or low for a few minutes instead of vacuuming. For those who embroider their quilt blocks use cutaway and a topper. I also use an ballpoint needle but the other may work as well. Walking foot is a must. Serge your “sandwiches” if you have one.