Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I've never used minky- any tips?

I've never used minky- any tips?

Hi friends,
    With a baby granddaughter on the way I am of course thinking of baby quilts!
    I've heard a little about minky for backings but have no experience using it.

I plan to machine or maybe hand quilt it.

Any tips? TIA

Susie

Power Poster
    I wouldn’t recommend hand quilting unless you use big stitch as the pile would make regular hand quilting a chore. A lot use it on their long arm but unless it is a small quilt, quilting on a sewing machine might make it difficult to stuff through the machine harp.

Blog Entries
    I love Minky backed quilts and make a lot of them. Tips- smooth don’t stretch, use a new sharp needle, use a big ( open) quilting design. I usually just do large swooping waves, curls, meandering. I do use batting which helps keep it from sliding around but we live in a cold climate. Some people do not use batting- it’s up to you.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

When you cut into it use a vacuum cleaner along the edges to get rid of the fuzz.
    Lori

I love minky backed baby quilts. I live in Maine and only make minky backed quilts during the summer months when I can cut, shake, and layer the minky, quilt flimsy, and batting outside on my picnic table due to the shedding. So I have to plan ahead.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

Quote Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
    When you cut into it use a vacuum cleaner along the edges to get rid of the fuzz.
    DogGramma .... Does that stop it?
    Or does it keep shedding, until you get the seams enclosed inside the finished quilt?
    Thanks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I read a great tip in a quilting magazine about working with minky. Before cutting the minky, wear a robe over your outfit. The robe should be the silky-like, shiny material. Now the minky won't stick to your clothes and saves you from using a lint roller.

Congratulations on the news of your baby granddaughter!

I've made a few minky baby/lap quilts recently and had great experiences after receiving excellent advice from others here on the QB..

- consider pre-washing your cotton fabric (if you don't already) as minky is poly so it won't shrink as much as the cotton will
    - I used batting in mine but others suggest you can omit batting if you'd like a thin quilt
    - yes, vacuum cut edges right away to minimize the mess and definitely have a lint roller handy!
    - I spray basted one and simply pinned the other (closely) and both quilted beautifully
    - I used a 90/14 Topstitch needle
    - I used Bottom Line thread (poly)
    - Quilted with a walking foot on my Juki DSM

Both minky quilts finished beautifully and they definitely make the best baby quilts! Super soft and snuggly but I wouldn't want to wrestle around anything larger than a lap quilt on my DSM as minky is certainly heavier.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures!
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

Thanks so much to all who chimed in! I cannot wait to get started

I probably won't hand quilt it afterall. Sounds a bit bulky for that.

Minky

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    Thanks so much to all who chimed in! I cannot wait to get started

I probably won't hand quilt it afterall. Sounds a bit bulky for that.
    All great tips. You can throw in the dryer on air fluff or low for a few minutes instead of vacuuming. For those who embroider their quilt blocks use cutaway and a topper. I also use an ballpoint needle but the other may work as well. Walking foot is a must. Serge your “sandwiches” if you have one.

I recently saw a tip for cutting minky. You place a piece of painters tape on the line you are going to cut. This helps catch the lint that comes from the cut. Haven’t had a chance to try it myself, but I plan to on my next one.

I was nervous working with it for the first time. Mine was a lap size with batting and I combined walking foot and block by block free motion after pin basting. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it went....and how forgiving the minky was with my terrible quilting skills. I wish all my backs looked so good!

Since I didn't know it was suppose to be hard to quilt I just went head and used it on 4 quilts recently done for grandchildren. Was so lucky they all turned out beautifully. Definitely will continue to use it. The kids loved how soft they feel.

I found that the vaccumming took care of the fuzz when I used the minkee type fabric.
    Lori

I almost always use flannel instead of batting unless it’s going to a cold climate. Whether or not it actually stabilizes all the layers, I FEEL like it does, and sometimes perception is everything.

I was told to use a #11 stretch needle and isacord or similar thread plus polyester batting.This was from the quilt store quilter in Branson, Missouri. It was amazing! Worked beautifully and this was a double bed sized quilt on my dam. So much fun. Used the walking foot as well as fm. I quilted every large block differently. It unwieldy sometimes but so worth it.

I have used the blue painters tape for cutting and it really helped decrease the mess. I also heard that if you spray the cutting line with hairspray it will help control the fuzz. I haven't tried that method but I will next time.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    Hi friends,
    With a baby granddaughter on the way I am of course thinking of baby quilts!
    I've heard a little about minky for backings but have no experience using it.

I plan to machine or maybe hand quilt it.

Any tips? TIA

Susie
    Use a longer stitch and use lots of pins when joining seams. That advice from a friend helped me a lot.
    Mary Jane Flikke

Blog Entries
    Vacuum after Every cut. Very washable. No, No, fabric softener of any kind. Enjoy. Love the stuff.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-01-2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

My favorite brand is Minky Cuddle by Shannon Fabrics. Simply the best, in my opinion. I usually glue baste with Elmer's School Glue. One "minky" fabric (the one with the dimples) that I bought at JoAnn Fabric, would not stick with the glue. I had to spray baste. Another "minky" from JoAnn had a really long nap, and as I quilted,
    the nap pulled through to the front of the quilt. I had to rip off the backing and use another fabric.