Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome 6600 - problem with machine eating fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-6600-problem-machine-eating-fabric-t300620.html)

PghPat 11-01-2018 06:03 AM

Janome 6600 - problem with machine eating fabric

I have had this machine for a long time and I love it but I have had this same problem forever. I like to use my Acufeed foot because for the most part I am using several layers of fabric and batting. My problem is that I like to chain stitch my blocks (2 layers of fabric and I layer of batting) but when sewing corner to corner on the blocks my machine most of the time Eats the fabric. I have tried to find a single hole needle plate but can’t find one. I am told that would help. In the meantime can anyone give me any tips? Thank you so very much for any help...I’m ready to pull my hair out with my corners all eaten up.

sharisews 11-01-2018 06:11 AM

You might try using leaders and enders. It works for me.

luvstoquilt301 11-01-2018 06:19 AM

I have a single hole plate. It is not really a hole but a much smaller opening than the regular one. I never use my big accufeed foot for piecing. Actually never even thought about that. I bought mine on Kens Sewing site I believe.

PghPat 11-01-2018 06:21 AM

But when I’m chain stitching it is actually like using leaders and enders. When I’m not chain stitching I do use them. But thanks for responding.

PghPat 11-01-2018 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 (Post 8153447)
I have a single hole plate. It is not really a hole but a much smaller opening than the regular one. I never use my big accufeed foot for piecing. Actually never even thought about that. I bought mine on Kens Sewing site I believe.

I only use the accused foot because I am sewing the minimum of three layers. When I sew the darts I am up to six layers and using the acufeed makes it so much easier.

Was this the reason you bought your single hole plate and did it help? Thank you!

TeresaA 11-01-2018 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by PghPat (Post 8153435)
I have had this machine for a long time and I love it but I have had this same problem forever. I like to use my Acufeed foot because for the most part I am using several layers of fabric and batting. My problem is that I like to chain stitch my blocks (2 layers of fabric and I layer of batting) but when sewing corner to corner on the blocks my machine most of the time EATS the fabric. I have tried to find a single hole needle plate but can’t find one. I am told that would help. In the meantime can anyone give me any tips? Thank you so very much for any help...I’m ready to pull my hair out with my corners all eaten up.

My non-Janome sewing machine can sometimes do that too. I get around it by holding the previous piece just a little bit taut as the machine is sewing through the corners. That gives enough tension to prevent the fabric from going down below the needle plate.

Eva Knight 11-01-2018 06:31 AM

Have you tried to put a piece of tape over the hole, move the needle up and down to make a hole in the tape? I think it will be worth a try. Might have to use more then one layer of tape and then change when needed.

PghPat 11-01-2018 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by TeresaA (Post 8153455)
My non-Janome sewing machine can sometimes do that too. I get around it by holding the previous piece just a little bit taut as the machine is sewing through the corners. That gives enough tension to prevent the fabric from going down below the needle plate.

No, I don’t think I have but you can bet I’m gonna try it now. I’ll try anything. Thank you!

PghPat 11-01-2018 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight (Post 8153460)
Have you tried to put a piece of tape over the hole, move the needle up and down to make a hole in the tape? I think it will be worth a try. Might have to use more then one layer of tape and then change when needed.

Wow - never thought of that but it sure is worth a try. This board is totally amazing - such quick response and good ideas.

Irishrose2 11-01-2018 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight (Post 8153460)

I did this with my granddaughter's machine. We were both sewing and she kept sneaking over to my Singer 301 for the reason you mentioned. I taped her zigzag machine so it only had a small opening. Problem solved.