Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome Artistic Quilter 18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-artistic-quilter-18-a-t119880.html)

Farm Quilter 04-10-2012 05:45 AM

I have an Innova so I can't address your issues with your Janomes, but you might check on yahoo groups to see if there is a Janome group where your questions can be answered. I'm so sorry your dealer and Janome aren't helping you - one of my favorite things about my Innova is having a 24/7/365 live tech support from one of the guys who started ABM International who makes the Innova. All longarms should have this kind of free service!

khenderson2 04-10-2012 06:13 PM

suzyQ2 i also have 18 tinlizzy as far as the stitching goes you have to speed your machine movement faster then a regular sewing machine when you hand guide the tinlizzy

j3intampa 04-12-2012 03:55 PM

Response back to SuzyQ2

Originally Posted by SuzyQ2 (Post 5121003)
Hello everyone,
well i don't have any promising news to report on the Artistic18 that came back. Took a week of playing around with the tension as it was still all loopy on the back worse than before. Got it to where i could live with it. Started a quilt this morning and now the top thread is breaking!
( what was sewn thus far looked pretty good)
I swear to God I don't know what else to do!
Are any of you truly happy with this machine?

Hi SuzyQ2,

Reading that your top thread is breaking makes me wonder if your top thread is jumping out of the top tension disks? Mine jumps out alot, no clue as to why but it will cause breaking issues. And this also causes alot of other stitch problems because it just doesn't stitch right. Once the top threading is corrected it should run smoothly.
If you machine was tested the bobbin should wind correctly. I have read alot of posts that the material and batting really affects the stitching, i.e., loopies etc. Alot of people have problems running batiks on their longarms, and the thickness and type of batting also affects the stitching. Using sheets on the back I have heard because of the tight weave causes problems also. The few that I have done I had to adjust the top tension on every change of batting/fabric and also different thread types. I am running King Tut (love it but can't afford) and Superior thread runs great. I also have some polyester that runs great, I haven't tried any Rayon. Also, just in case here are a few suggestions also: Is your thread holder directly above the spool? Is the holder at the top most height? If you are using small spools that are wound tight will give you problems due to the thread twisting as it comes off. These may seem silly but it is all a learning curve, that's for sure. Good luck, I hope you have it straightened out by now. Judy outside of Tampa, JAQ18

Farm Quilter 04-13-2012 06:19 AM

About your thread jumping out of tension disks...I don't know if your thread guides are spread too far apart, but a friend who has a Gammill added extra guides for her thread using the line guides from fishing poles glued on her machine to keep her thread going in the proper path. They are large enough to be easy to thread your thread through and keep the thread from lashing around enough to fly out of the disks.

j3intampa 04-13-2012 06:50 PM

Thread jumping out of tension disks

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter (Post 5137505)
About your thread jumping out of tension disks...I don't know if your thread guides are spread too far apart, but a friend who has a Gammill added extra guides for her thread using the line guides from fishing poles glued on her machine to keep her thread going in the proper path. They are large enough to be easy to thread your thread through and keep the thread from lashing around enough to fly out of the disks.

That is a really great idea, thanks very much and I will certainly do. Judy, JAQ18

dc989 04-13-2012 07:56 PM

Hi Everyone, I've had my Artistic 18 on a Grace frame for over a month and absolutely love it. DH set it up over 2 long days and was really impressed with the product and manual. We had a problem on our first practice run, but Bill found the problem right away. The encoders weren't hitting level, which was what my LGS warned him about when we picked up the machine head. He got them right on set up, but they were knocked off kilter when he leveled the frame. He fixed it right away and I was off and running. I've been practicing on muslin sandwiches and have a fairly decent edge to edge repertoire now. I have a huge pile of charity quilts to quilt when I feel a little more confident. I feel so fortunate to have had such a great experience. I would be so disappointed if I had so much trouble after spending so much money and time. Donna C

j3intampa 04-14-2012 06:36 AM

Welcome to the family! Judy. JAQ18

SuzyQ2 04-24-2012 06:25 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the hints. Fingers crossed I'm FINALLY up and running :-) before my repair the machine liked KingTutt thread...but after all the work was done it no longer liked that. After many tries of different threads it turns out "she" love Superior thread. At this moment the stitching is Beautiful top and bottom! Couldn't be happier, loaded on a UFO and can't wait to get it all quilted.
Pictures to follow.
MsPintoBean...have you gotten your new machine and all the upgrades yet? Can't wait to hear how well the new computer part for stitching works out.
Happy Quilting to all

Farm Quilter 04-25-2012 05:47 AM

Since King Tut is a Superior thread, which Superior thread are you using that she now likes?

SuzyQ2 04-25-2012 08:47 AM

Yeiks...spoke too soon it's is now shreading the top thread again!

Meant to say Signature thread but now that is even being shreaded.

I'm beginging to think I'm not meant to be sewing with a longarm. This machine is taking up way too much of my time and temperment