Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome Horizon 7700 question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-horizon-7700-question-t223285.html)

kaykid815 06-08-2013 04:06 PM

Janome Horizon 7700 question

1 Attachment(s)
Every time I start new stitching and use the thread-lock-feature (sew-in-the-same-spot), I get a wad of threads on the under-side of the fabric. I'm betting there is a way to prevent this... any suggestions?

omaluvs2quilt 06-08-2013 05:35 PM

Are you holding the top & bottom threads or using scrap leaders to begin sewing into before you insert your fabric for actual stiching?

kaykid815 06-08-2013 05:50 PM

As you can see from the picture, the stitching often starts in the middle of a block.... in this case, I was doing an applique stitch, which does not end on the edge of the fabric. I don't know how I would hold the thread.. - and in that case, could not use scrap leaders...

EasyPeezy 06-08-2013 06:39 PM

Does it do the same thing when you sew a regular straight stitch?
I've never been a fan of the thread lock on my Janome 6600 so
I never use it.

leakus 06-08-2013 06:44 PM

Kaykid, i love applique and do a lot of it by machine. What works for me, try it yourself: do just one stitch so the needle goes down only once and pulls up (just to start dont use the needle down feature if your machine has it), then, pull the end of the top thread so it brings the bottom thread up. Once you have both ends, use the knot feature while holdingthe threads with your left hand. As soon as the knog is done you can cut both ends against the fabric or hide them with a needle underneath the applique.
Clear as mud?

leakus 06-08-2013 06:45 PM

Kaykid, i love applique and do a lot of it by machine. What works for me, try it yourself: do just one stitch so the needle goes down only once and pulls up (just to start dont use the needle down feature if your machine has it), then, pull the end of the top thread so it brings the bottom thread up. Once you have both ends, use the knot feature while holdingthe threads with your left hand. As soon as the knog is done you can cut both ends against the fabric or hide them with a needle underneath the applique.
Clear as mud?

QuiltE 06-08-2013 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by kaykid815 (Post 6111660)
As you can see from the picture, the stitching often starts in the middle of a block.... in this case, I was doing an applique stitch, which does not end on the edge of the fabric. I don't know how I would hold the thread.. - and in that case, could not use scrap leaders...

You could still use a Leader .... stitch onto the Leader, then leave a thread long enough for you to get to the stitching place. Otherwise, take one stitch to draw up your thread, as you would for FMQing ... and then hold the ends when you start.

omaluvs2quilt 06-09-2013 01:11 AM

If I start in the middle, I always bring the bobbin thread to the top and then hold both threads for the first couple of stitches too...hope it works for you : )

carolaug 06-09-2013 02:09 AM

Great tip! I never thught of doing it that way. I am going to have to try this.

Originally Posted by leakus (Post 6111716)
Clear as mud?