Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome sewing machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-sewing-machines-t254924.html)

WandaVA 10-08-2014 05:01 AM

Another vote for the 6600P! When I took mine in for routine service, the repairman (who has been servicing sewing machines for 28 years) said that all his customers love their 6600P's...but he gets a lot of complaints about other makes/models. So he recommends the 6600P to anyone in the market for a machine.

quiltingeileen 10-08-2014 05:09 AM

I have the Janome 7700 and a small Janome for class. Love them both! There is a wide variety of Janomes to meet various price points. Happy shopping :)

Sewnoma 10-08-2014 05:31 AM

Another 6600 person here, too! I'm very fond of mine, as well. It does everything I want it to do. I've only had mine a couple years but so far it's been perfectly behaved; very reliable and problem-free. Mine is a little persnickety about bobbins - most people say they can use generic bobbins in their 6600's; I have trouble with anything other than Janome brand bobbins in mine - but she's not at all picky about thread.

I've busted needles at least 4-5 times by forgetting I had a straight-stitch foot on and switching to zigzag, and it's never knocked the machine out of timing. My 8 year old niece was turned loose on this machine for 2 full days and when I came back I found the machine still gamely sewing on, even with a bent needle, LOL. Put in a straight needle and she's like new again. This is definitely the most rugged machine I've ever owned!

misoop 10-08-2014 05:45 AM

[QUOTE=Sewnoma;6919877]Another 6600 person here, too! free. Mine is a little persnickety about bobbins - most people say they can use generic bobbins in their 6600's; I have trouble with anything other than Janome brand bobbins in mine - but she's not at all picky about thread.

Sewnoma, I have suspected my problem is the bobbins, also. I bought some one time at Hancocks....pkg said it was compatible with my machine. I have gotten them mixed up with the brand bobbins. I think I'll check the Janome website to see if I can still buy bobbins for this machine. Thanks.

misoop 10-08-2014 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 6919581)
I'm confused as to why you would rather buy a different machine than get your current one serviced?

Candace, the last time I took my Brother in for service, it cost $300 and nothing was really wrong with it. I guess I'm thinking why not pay that much toward another machine? It is 24 years old.

sash 10-08-2014 06:22 AM

I have the 6600 also and love it. Also have a Janome 3050dc that I really like; didn't cost nearly as much as the 6600. There's an upgrade to it, I think its the 3060(maybe). About the same machine, but has an automatic cutter which the 3050 doesn't have. (I do wish mine had it). I take it to classes since it doesn't weigh as much. Have 3 Janomes and like them all.

Sewnoma 10-08-2014 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by misoop (Post 6919898)
Sewnoma, I have suspected my problem is the bobbins, also. I bought some one time at Hancocks....pkg said it was compatible with my machine. I have gotten them mixed up with the brand bobbins. I think I'll check the Janome website to see if I can still buy bobbins for this machine. Thanks.

Yeah, I've been told over and over that the Brother bobbins work in Janome, but that's not been true in my experience. I have a Brother embroidery machine and I have to make sure I don't mix up the bobbins.

I buy Janome brand bobbins on Amazon. My dealer carries them too but she wants a lot more than they are on Amazon. In fact I JUST bought another package this week: http://smile.amazon.com/Janome-Plast...janome+bobbins

They're not exactly cheap on Amazon either but I'm slowly accumulating a nice cache of them.

For your mixed up bobbins - Janome bobbins have a "J" on the inside core of the bobbin, at least MOST of them do. I do have some that were sold to me as "genuine Janome bobbins" but they don't have the J...but they DO work. So it's a little confusing; I'm not sure if they are just really good phonies, or if Janome sells some bobbins without the J.

Sewnoma 10-08-2014 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by sash (Post 6919951)
I have the 6600 also and love it. Also have a Janome 3050dc that I really like; didn't cost nearly as much as the 6600. There's an upgrade to it, I think its the 3060(maybe). About the same machine, but has an automatic cutter which the 3050 doesn't have. (I do wish mine had it). I take it to classes since it doesn't weigh as much. Have 3 Janomes and like them all.

I have the 3060QDC as my "travel" machine and it's a great machine too (I sure do love the thread cut button - best button ever). It's too small to serve as my full-time quilting machine, but it's perfect for taking to classes or on vacations.

misoop 10-08-2014 07:19 AM

[QUOTE=Sewnoma;6919975]Yeah, bobbins.

I buy Janome brand bobbins on Amazon. wants a lot more than they are on Amazon. In fact I JUST bought another package this week: http://smile.amazon.com/Janome-Plast...janome+bobbins

They're not exactly cheap on Amazon either but I'm slowly accumulating a nice cache of them.

For your mixed up bobbins - Janome bobbins have a "J" on the inside core of the bobbin, at least MOST of them do.

Thanks, I'll look for the J on my bobbins. Will also check out amazon.

luana 10-08-2014 08:49 AM

One more vote for the 6600P. I traded my 6600P for a 7700QCP and then traded it in for the MC8900. Of all these machines, the 6600P was the best!