Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   jelly roll pinked edges (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/jelly-roll-pinked-edges-t57402.html)

sarge1 08-01-2010 08:31 PM

I recently purchased a jelly roll, and the edges of each fabric strip are pinked. How do I begin to use the strips-do I cut off the pinked edges to make them straight for sewing? If I have to do that, it seems more cumbersome than just cutting strips from yardage in the first place. But if I don't cut them, how do I sew without a straight edge?
Thanks in advance

Jim's Gem 08-01-2010 08:41 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!
I think you just line the tips of the pinked edges up with the same of your second fabric and sew the 1/4" seam.

gale 08-01-2010 08:42 PM

No-don't cut them off. The 2.5" measurement is to the OUTSIDE of the zig zags. I actually am not a fan of the pinked edges. The first JR I bought had straight edges-this was a long time ago when they first came out and I liked it better. Another thing-you might want to whack the jelly roll on something outside for a while-there is a lot of lint and crumbs from those pinked edges. And while you're sewing, clean out your bobbin case often. I clean it with each new bobbin if I'm working with precuts.

justwannaquilt 08-01-2010 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by gale
No-don't cut them off. The 2.5" measurement is to the OUTSIDE of the zig zags. I actually am not a fan of the pinked edges. The first JR I bought had straight edges-this was a long time ago when they first came out and I liked it better. Another thing-you might want to whack the jelly roll on something outside for a while-there is a lot of lint and crumbs from those pinked edges. And while you're sewing, clean out your bobbin case often. I clean it with each new bobbin if I'm working with precuts.

Yeah what she said. I learned this the hard way with a layer cake instead of a jelly roll. Those pinked edges really screwed me up one time. I still have yet to rip the pieces apart and start over. I need to though.

Candace 08-01-2010 09:06 PM

I'm not a fan of the pinked edges either. Not fun at all. But, don't cut them off.

sharon b 08-01-2010 10:10 PM

Hello and Welcome from Northern Indiana ! Glad you joined us :lol:

Lori S 08-02-2010 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by gale

I am so... not a fan of pinked edges ... Who ever thought it was a good idea?! I will not purchase Jelly Rolls with a pinked edge. it just agrivates me the whole time I am working with them.

Theresa 08-02-2010 05:40 AM

Always thought the manufacturer pinked the edges so they wouldn't unravel as much with all the handling to get the product to us. Just a thought...

bearisgray 08-02-2010 06:43 AM

I always wondered about the measurements too for all those things that came with pinked edges.

So - the measurement is from tip to tip of the zigzags?

mlaceruby 08-02-2010 06:47 AM

I don't like the mess either but it does cut down on the bulk in the seams