Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: jelly roll pinked edges

I recently purchased a jelly roll, and the edges of each fabric strip are pinked. How do I begin to use the strips-do I cut off the pinked edges to make them straight for sewing? If I have to do that, it seems more cumbersome than just cutting strips from yardage in the first place. But if I don't cut them, how do I sew without a straight edge?
    Thanks in advance

Welcome to the board from Southern California!
    I think you just line the tips of the pinked edges up with the same of your second fabric and sew the 1/4" seam.

Blog Entries
    No-don't cut them off. The 2.5" measurement is to the OUTSIDE of the zig zags. I actually am not a fan of the pinked edges. The first JR I bought had straight edges-this was a long time ago when they first came out and I liked it better. Another thing-you might want to whack the jelly roll on something outside for a while-there is a lot of lint and crumbs from those pinked edges. And while you're sewing, clean out your bobbin case often. I clean it with each new bobbin if I'm working with precuts.

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    No-don't cut them off. The 2.5" measurement is to the OUTSIDE of the zig zags. I actually am not a fan of the pinked edges. The first JR I bought had straight edges-this was a long time ago when they first came out and I liked it better. Another thing-you might want to whack the jelly roll on something outside for a while-there is a lot of lint and crumbs from those pinked edges. And while you're sewing, clean out your bobbin case often. I clean it with each new bobbin if I'm working with precuts.
    Yeah what she said. I learned this the hard way with a layer cake instead of a jelly roll. Those pinked edges really screwed me up one time. I still have yet to rip the pieces apart and start over. I need to though.

I'm not a fan of the pinked edges either. Not fun at all. But, don't cut them off.

Blog Entries
    Hello and Welcome from Northern Indiana ! Glad you joined us :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I am so... not a fan of pinked edges ... Who ever thought it was a good idea?! I will not purchase Jelly Rolls with a pinked edge. it just agrivates me the whole time I am working with them.

Always thought the manufacturer pinked the edges so they wouldn't unravel as much with all the handling to get the product to us. Just a thought...

Power Poster
    I always wondered about the measurements too for all those things that came with pinked edges.

So - the measurement is from tip to tip of the zigzags?

I don't like the mess either but it does cut down on the bulk in the seams

Garment makers used pinking shears to cut out their pattern pieces in order to minimze unraveling since all the edges are not cut on the straight grains of the fabric (think A-line skirt). Instead of whacking them as Gale suggested, take the jelly roll outside and unroll it and gently shake the strips. Don't brush the edges while it is still rolled up, as this will loosen the small pieces of thread. They will come out of the pinked cuts and you will lose that fabric, throwing your measurements off.

Of course there's a reason for the pinked edges. I still don't have to like them.

Gale is right.......take them outside and shake the bag before you open it! I had allergic in my eyes from these "bunny dusts"
    Just line the pinked edgs up with each other.

okay.......I'm lost, if I don't cut the pinked edges off and I'm matching up to a 2nd piece of fabric my question is......does the pinked tips line up perfectly with the straight edge of 2nd fabric or is it the base of the pinked edge lining up with my 2nd fabric. Wow.....is that clear as mud of what? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lori L
    okay.......I'm lost, if I don't cut the pinked edges off and I'm matching up to a 2nd piece of fabric my question is......does the pinked tips line up perfectly with the straight edge of 2nd fabric or is it the base of the pinked edge lining up with my 2nd fabric. Wow.....is that clear as mud of what? LOL
    No, they don't line up a lot of the time and that can be a pain. the tips should line up with the straight edge. It can be a struggle to get that scant seam. I'm mainly using my jelly rolls in easier type patterns.

Looks like I found just the right forum! Thanks for the welcome, and all of the really useful information. It's exactly what I was looking for. :)

I agree. Do not cut off the tips. The measurement is from the tips to the tips.

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    Don't laugh at me but I have been known to vacuum my jelly rolls to get all those little bits off :oops:

Blog Entries
    welcome sarge1. I'm new to the group too. I mostly read what everyone has to say and when I'm done, it seems like I've has a wonderful 'group hug' from all around the world. Quilters are the best there is!!! :thumbup:

hello and welcome from SW Iowa. Glad to have you here.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I always wondered about the measurements too for all those things that came with pinked edges.

So - the measurement is from tip to tip of the zigzags?
    Welcome! Glad you're here!

In a perfect world, yes they would measure exactly 2.5" from tip to tip across the middle of the strip. But my experience with them (at least with Moda ones) has been that they are not. They are actually about 2 and 9/16" from tip to tip, which is about 1/16" more than 2.5". That doesn't sound like much, but compounded over say 4 squares that adds up to about a 1/4" difference. So if you try to sew it to an 8.5" unfinished square, you'll have an issue. It's the one thing that makes me go "Grrr" about jelly rolls, otherwise I love them. Every one that I have measured has been like this and I'm using metal rulers, so it's not like my ruler has "shrunk".

I first noticed it when trying to join large squares to pieced squares from the jelly rolls, which is what made me take a ruler to them. And then I measured another, and another, etc. So beware!

I have used the jelly rolls a few times now, first I vacuum them while they are still rolled and tied, then I take them apart and choose the ones for my project and proceed to spray starch them. I don't get much lint at all that way. I had to starch 2 jelly rolls for my last quilt which was a queen size but I wouldn't for go the starch. Haven't had a problem keeping a scant quarter inch with the points either. Good luck they are fun to work with.

Suzy

Hi and Welcome from outside St. louis, Missouri, glad you joined us, you will love it here.

I have a jelly roll, haven't worked with it yet. I will someday and will just use a simple design.

OK, I've been wondering about the pinked edges for awhile and haven't bought jelly rolls or cake layers as a result. Now I've even more convinced I don't want to buy them. I LOVE to rotary cut, so I'd rather just buy the yardage and cut my own. Glad you asked the question, Sarge1. I got my own question answered here.

Here's my thought on the pinked edge. I saw them as manufacturers samples of new lines before they showed up in the market as " charm" squares. I think the manufacturers just didn't alter the process, and let us quilters make the adjustment in OUR sewing. Because if the fabrics are handled much, the whole tip of the 'pinking point' disappears, and you're left with only the little threads that go the other way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast