Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
jelly roll pinked edges >

jelly roll pinked edges

jelly roll pinked edges

Old 08-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I always wondered about the measurements too for all those things that came with pinked edges.

So - the measurement is from tip to tip of the zigzags?
Welcome! Glad you're here!

In a perfect world, yes they would measure exactly 2.5" from tip to tip across the middle of the strip. But my experience with them (at least with Moda ones) has been that they are not. They are actually about 2 and 9/16" from tip to tip, which is about 1/16" more than 2.5". That doesn't sound like much, but compounded over say 4 squares that adds up to about a 1/4" difference. So if you try to sew it to an 8.5" unfinished square, you'll have an issue. It's the one thing that makes me go "Grrr" about jelly rolls, otherwise I love them. Every one that I have measured has been like this and I'm using metal rulers, so it's not like my ruler has "shrunk".

I first noticed it when trying to join large squares to pieced squares from the jelly rolls, which is what made me take a ruler to them. And then I measured another, and another, etc. So beware!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:13 PM

I have used the jelly rolls a few times now, first I vacuum them while they are still rolled and tied, then I take them apart and choose the ones for my project and proceed to spray starch them. I don't get much lint at all that way. I had to starch 2 jelly rolls for my last quilt which was a queen size but I wouldn't for go the starch. Haven't had a problem keeping a scant quarter inch with the points either. Good luck they are fun to work with.

Suzy
Old 08-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

Hi and Welcome from outside St. louis, Missouri, glad you joined us, you will love it here.

I have a jelly roll, haven't worked with it yet. I will someday and will just use a simple design.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:49 AM

OK, I've been wondering about the pinked edges for awhile and haven't bought jelly rolls or cake layers as a result. Now I've even more convinced I don't want to buy them. I LOVE to rotary cut, so I'd rather just buy the yardage and cut my own. Glad you asked the question, Sarge1. I got my own question answered here.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:28 AM

Here's my thought on the pinked edge. I saw them as manufacturers samples of new lines before they showed up in the market as " charm" squares. I think the manufacturers just didn't alter the process, and let us quilters make the adjustment in OUR sewing. Because if the fabrics are handled much, the whole tip of the 'pinking point' disappears, and you're left with only the little threads that go the other way.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
I don't like the mess either but it does cut down on the bulk in the seams
I agree! I don't cut them off, but don't particularly like them either. Go figure! But you're right, it does cut down on the bulk at the seam. Maybe we should invent a rotary cutter that pinks??!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:03 AM

Hello from another N. Indiana quilter.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:29 AM

I have never bought a jelly roll but have wondered about the pinked edges. If we can extrapolate from the opinions on this thread, it would seem that the manufacturers don't listen to users' opinions on whether they prefer pinked edges. Ugh!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by montanablu
I agree! I don't cut them off, but don't particularly like them either. Go figure! But you're right, it does cut down on the bulk at the seam. Maybe we should invent a rotary cutter that pinks??!

There are pinked blades available for purchase on rotary cutters. I have one. And I've never used it.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by montanablu
There are pinking blades available for rotary cutters. Check the notions aisle at the fabric stores.