Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pinked edges on precuts >

pinked edges on precuts

pinked edges on precuts

Old 04-27-2012, 04:28 PM

Default pinked edges on precuts

Am I the only one having fits with the pinked edges on precuts??? Have been sewing and quilting for years and for the most part do okay with 1/4" seams but, when I try to sew a pinked edge precut to a straight edge precut I simply cannot get a 1/4" or scant 1/4" seam. Most of the time I've found it not to be critical but currently I'm sewing many pinked Honey Bun strips ( 1/1/2" wide) to plain 1/1/2" UNpinked strips and it's been a nightmare since these are then cut to make multiple 1/1/2" units which will ultimately attach to each other. I have two 1/4" feet neither of which produce 1/4" seams!!!! I've attached the "post its" to my machine bed as suggested by others to no avail.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:40 PM

Maybe the pinked pre-cuts aren't exactly 2 1/2"--That would really throw your sewing off! Try doing some careful measuring of them and then decide what your next step will be.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

place the straight cut pieces on the bottom with the pinked edge pieces on top- with the pinked points just barely (a thread or two shy) of the edge of the straight edge- then use the straight edge to line up your 1/4"
pinked edges are nice sometimes with pre-cuts because they are not so apt to fray- just takes a little (getting used to) but using straight cuts with them really makes it quite easy once you learn how
Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 PM

I just finished watching a Missouri Star Quilting video and I noticed that when sewing pinked edge percuts to straight edge fabric, she put the precut on top so that the straight fabric showed through where the pinking cut away the bits of fabric. Having the pinked fabric on top made it easier to make a 1/4" seam. Hope this will help you.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:56 PM

Wow. I haven't bought any of these, but it's a good thing to know. If you are putting 2 pinked edges together it must be hard to get a perfect scant 1/4" seam too. I used pinking shears for a lot of things back 30 years ago when I made clothes for myself and kids, but haven't used them in a long, long time.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:15 PM

I am not a fan of the pinked edges for the very issue you are having. Putting a pinked on top of a non-pinked gives better results. .. but two pinked edges together... and I am going to be cussing like a truck driver who missed an exit.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I am not a fan of the pinked edges for the very issue you are having. Putting a pinked on top of a non-pinked gives better results. .. but two pinked edges together... and I am going to be cussing like a truck driver who missed an exit.
. . . and the next one is 40 miles down the road . . .
Old 04-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

Hate, hate HATE pinked edges. If the edges on strips(honeybuns) are pinked, I don't buy it. I end up sewing 1/4 inch in from the valley of the pinked edge so I actually waste more fabric than if the edges were straight. I could re-cut the pinked edge straight but that kind of wastes the benefit of buying pre-cuts doesn't it?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:08 AM

I continue to learn so much here. Thanks all of you.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

I sew 1/4" from the tip of the pink edge. I view the cut out space as solid and don't think about it. I was told the pink edge is what is on the industrial die cut machines as the pink edge blades are more heavy duty and also gets accurate cuts from many layers. I have seen industrial die cut machines for cutting out fabric for clothes patterns. The fabric is held down with a vacuum seal and then a press is lowered and the fabric is stamped cut. I imagine the fabric die cuts are made about the same way.