Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pinked Edges on Pre-cuts

I love the new pre-cuts, but go goofy with the flaking edges. Does this bug anybody else or am I just fussy.?. When I use charms or the jelly rolls, it seems I am cleaning up bits and pieces all over my clothes, floor and machine.
    How do you handle this????

I trim them off whenever possible, don't like them either!

Blog Entries
    I use precuts all the time. I never noticed any flaking or fuzz enough to bother me.

I am also not a fan of the fuzzing. I started putting mine in a clear plastic food bag so I could see the colors but not have the mess. Not sure what I'll do when I actually start using it. Maybe run the vacuum hose over it gently!

Blog Entries
    I have used several charm packs and haven't had any shedding at all. The pinking makes a fabric shed less.

Quote Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    I am also not a fan of the fuzzing. I started putting mine in a clear plastic food bag so I could see the colors but not have the mess. Not sure what I'll do when I actually start using it. Maybe run the vacuum hose over it gently!
    That is exactly what I am doing....:) I bag it and shake it to knock off all the shedding that I can and then I take the vacumm to it. It helps....

I hate what I call "shedding" of the pinked edge.. so I quit buying them... plus the cutting was not always acqurate.
    As you can see by my avatar I already have enough shedding !

Blog Entries
    edges are pinked to keep them from fraying---why are yours flaking? i pink edges on my fabrics often when i do not want to deal with frayed edges

HeeHee....but what a loving way to get your "shedding" , Lori S.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    edges are pinked to keep them from fraying---why are yours flaking? i pink edges on my fabrics often when i do not want to deal with frayed edges
    Because there are so many small pinks, it seems the little shreds of fabric came off by the tons. I guess I'm just fussy.....

Blog Entries
    try running a lint roller over the edges to clean them up.

Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    try running a lint roller over the edges to clean them up.
    I will....thank you...:)

I agree -- the pinked edges on the precuts are not as clean as the ones I do myself. Maybe it is because of all the handling. I check them over before I buy them (when I buy them) and pass over the ones with the really ratty edges since if I have to trim them it makes them less convenient than cutting the pieces myself.

I found that if you cut the pinked edges off, your strip wasn't quite 2 1/2" anymore. As a result, I won't buy pre-cut strips. I also found some that just weren't cut accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    I found that if you cut the pinked edges off, your strip wasn't quite 2 1/2" anymore. As a result, I won't buy pre-cut strips. I also found some that just weren't cut accurately.
    I did read on one of the blogs that one must measure "from tip to tip" to get the full inches, so I assume that means from pinked tip to pinked tip????

The lint roller rolled across the top and bottom of the jelly roll does take away those extra fuzzy pieces.

Power Poster
    I don't like pinked edges. If the pinking is included in the 1/4 inch seams allowance then the inside v of the pink is at about a 1/8 inch seam allowance. I am not comfortable with that little fabric in the seams.

Blog Entries
    I don't like them either and they aren't accurate!!

Blog Entries
    I don't care for the pinked edges either. My guess is that the manufacturers think this will help prevent distortion of the fabric edges in precuts, but I'd just as soon they would just leave straight edges on the squares and rectangles. The pinking seem to narrow the strips and makes measuring harder.
    Honestly, is it really easier to use them by not having to cut them myself? I have a lot of charms that haven't made it into anything yet. I have some that are bigger than 5", but only just bigger and would have to trim them, or they are just not quite 5", and I can't use them.
    So, I just cut my own. And I cut my own 2 1/2" strips, so layer cakes aren't for me. I haven't even tried the honet buns and pies that are out there.
    The names just make me want to go to the bakery and need to stay away form there. The honey buns and pies there are really good!! Too good! hehe

I find that when I cut the pinked edges off. to make a 2" square for example, the fabric shreds even more.

Quote Originally Posted by wendiq
    I love the new pre-cuts, but go goofy with the flaking edges. Does this bug anybody else or am I just fussy.?. When I use charms or the jelly rolls, it seems I am cleaning up bits and pieces all over my clothes, floor and machine.
    How do you handle this????
    besides the shedding, my precut squares have a large pinked edge, how do you sew these, 1/4 inch would just barely catch the fabric.

I actually wrote Moda and asked them about having some non-pinked precuts. I was told they would consider it.....yeah, well.............at least they did acknowledge my comments.

[quote=Lori S]I hate what I call "shedding" of the pinked edge.. so I quit buying them... plus the cutting was not always acqurate.
    Me Too!

I have noticed but if you take it out and fan them a few times outside it helps a lot. Thats what I did.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
    I agree -- the pinked edges on the precuts are not as clean as the ones I do myself. Maybe it is because of all the handling. I check them over before I buy them (when I buy them) and pass over the ones with the really ratty edges since if I have to trim them it makes them less convenient than cutting the pieces myself.
    Uh oh, I guess I had better quit flipping through the stacks at my LQS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast