Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinked Edges on Pre-cuts >

Pinked Edges on Pre-cuts

Pinked Edges on Pre-cuts

Old 08-01-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by wendiq
I love the new pre-cuts, but go goofy with the flaking edges. Does this bug anybody else or am I just fussy.?. When I use charms or the jelly rolls, it seems I am cleaning up bits and pieces all over my clothes, floor and machine.
How do you handle this????
besides the shedding, my precut squares have a large pinked edge, how do you sew these, 1/4 inch would just barely catch the fabric.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:45 AM

I actually wrote Moda and asked them about having some non-pinked precuts. I was told they would consider it.....yeah, well.............at least they did acknowledge my comments.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:53 AM

[quote=Lori S]I hate what I call "shedding" of the pinked edge.. so I quit buying them... plus the cutting was not always acqurate.
Me Too!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:14 AM

I have noticed but if you take it out and fan them a few times outside it helps a lot. Thats what I did.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
I agree -- the pinked edges on the precuts are not as clean as the ones I do myself. Maybe it is because of all the handling. I check them over before I buy them (when I buy them) and pass over the ones with the really ratty edges since if I have to trim them it makes them less convenient than cutting the pieces myself.
Uh oh, I guess I had better quit flipping through the stacks at my LQS
Old 08-01-2011, 12:51 PM

I did read on one of the blogs that one must measure "from tip to tip" to get the full inches, so I assume that means from pinked tip to pinked tip????
In garment sewing, to get an accurate fit, you're supposed to cut the edge so that the inside edge (valley) of the pinking is next to the indicted cutting line.

Then in sewing, you measure the seam allowance from the valleys of the pinked edge.

I usually used flat felled, French seams or Hong Kong finished seams in clothing but for a garment that was only intended to be used rarely (like an evening dress), I sometimes used pinking, particularly with fabrics where a straight cut edge would show through on the public side of the garment (fine silks, etc).
Old 08-01-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by MsEithne
I did read on one of the blogs that one must measure "from tip to tip" to get the full inches, so I assume that means from pinked tip to pinked tip????
In garment sewing, to get an accurate fit, you're supposed to cut the edge so that the inside edge (valley) of the pinking is next to the indicted cutting line.

Then in sewing, you measure the seam allowance from the valleys of the pinked edge.

OK...Then I'm doing it right.....thank you for this information...:)

I usually used flat felled, French seams or Hong Kong finished seams in clothing but for a garment that was only intended to be used rarely (like an evening dress), I sometimes used pinking, particularly with fabrics where a straight cut edge would show through on the public side of the garment (fine silks, etc).
Old 08-01-2011, 02:01 PM

I love the new pre-cuts, but go goofy with the flaking edges. Does this bug anybody else or am I just fussy.?. When I use charms or the jelly rolls, it seems I am cleaning up bits and pieces all over my clothes, floor and machine.
How do you handle this????
I think you've just been petting your fabric a little too much!! heheheh!
Old 08-01-2011, 02:31 PM

Precuts are fun because you get lots of coordinating fabrics for a good price but I have a lot of issues with them...one being those darn edges. Another being prewashing...I don't prewash jelly rolls because they are such a pain but I prefer prewashed fabric to non. They are just a big old pain in the butt for me and unless I REALLY love the fabric I tend to stick with charms or bigger.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:11 PM

Don't care for the pinked edges, too much fuzz.