Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Jelly roll question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/jelly-roll-question-t299480.html)

Annie C 09-11-2018 04:30 PM

Jelly roll question

I am new to quilting (I have taken a class locally) and decided to make a jelly roll quilt by viewing tutorials online. The jelly roll I purchased from a chain fabric store is imperfectly cut. The strips vary in size from 2.5” (which is what they should be) to 2.75”. Should I take the time to cut down the strips that are too wide? Thanks for your answers.

ILoveToQuilt 09-11-2018 05:03 PM

If you like the jelly roll, carefully cut them down to size. If you don't cut them, you will have to use a larger seam allowance to compensate for the extra 1/4 inch. I personally would cut them. How many are the incorrect size? If too many to cut, maybe find yardage of another fabric and cut your own 2.5" strips to replace the ones that are wrong. Just my 2 cents!

Welcome to the board and happy quilting!

Annie C 09-11-2018 06:13 PM

Thank you! Your advice is super helpful. My sewing sense told me to trim them, but I needed some expert advice.

Ariannaquilts 09-11-2018 09:09 PM

I personally would not cut them I would use them as they are, it's just a design element.

Sandra in Minnesota 09-11-2018 09:23 PM

I would not cut them either. Who is going to measure them?

QuiltingHaven 09-12-2018 02:11 AM

I would wash them before you cut them from 2.75 to 2.50. Because they will shrink and become 2.50 after washing and then they will be perfect for your quilt. Learned the hard way. I wash all my fabric when it comes in the house. You want it 2.50 to work the jelly rolls. When I wash the jelly rolls almost all are 2.50, they always shrink 2.25 and I adapt what I get and create the quilt from there. Great to get 2.75 washed down to 2.50.

Sandygirl 09-12-2018 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts (Post 8125345)
I personally would not cut them I would use them as they are, it's just a design element.

agree. Let the machine guide the strip. No strip set is cut perfectly. Not even when I cut it!

luvstoquilt301 09-12-2018 07:42 AM

You can make a rail fence quilt and then square up each section.

dunster 09-12-2018 09:12 AM

For the original jelly roll "race" quilt it is really essential that all the strips be the same width, whatever that width is, because of the way they're pieced together, end to end. If you intend instead to sew one strip completely (along its length) to the next strip and repeat this process over and over, then it won't matter what width the strips are. In fact it will probably add interest to the design if they're different widths. However your quilt will wind up at about 42" (the length of each strip) x 80" (40 strips sewn together), so you will want to think about adding borders or doing something else to change the proportions.

I wouldn't wash a jelly roll, or any other precuts, because the strips are sure to fray. If they're not well sized before the washing, it will be much worse after you wash. If the strips are so poorly cut I would probably take them back to the shop and ask for a different product or a refund.

Annie C 09-12-2018 02:48 PM

I trimmed the pieces that needed it. Project is going well!