Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Jelly roll question

Blog Entries

Jelly roll question

I am new to quilting (I have taken a class locally) and decided to make a jelly roll quilt by viewing tutorials online. The jelly roll I purchased from a chain fabric store is imperfectly cut. The strips vary in size from 2.5 (which is what they should be) to 2.75. Should I take the time to cut down the strips that are too wide? Thanks for your answers.

If you like the jelly roll, carefully cut them down to size. If you don't cut them, you will have to use a larger seam allowance to compensate for the extra 1/4 inch. I personally would cut them. How many are the incorrect size? If too many to cut, maybe find yardage of another fabric and cut your own 2.5" strips to replace the ones that are wrong. Just my 2 cents!

Welcome to the board and happy quilting!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Blog Entries
    Thank you! Your advice is super helpful. My sewing sense told me to trim them, but I needed some expert advice.

I personally would not cut them I would use them as they are, it's just a design element.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Blog Entries
    I would not cut them either. Who is going to measure them?

I would wash them before you cut them from 2.75 to 2.50. Because they will shrink and become 2.50 after washing and then they will be perfect for your quilt. Learned the hard way. I wash all my fabric when it comes in the house. You want it 2.50 to work the jelly rolls. When I wash the jelly rolls almost all are 2.50, they always shrink 2.25 and I adapt what I get and create the quilt from there. Great to get 2.75 washed down to 2.50.
    Last edited by QuiltingHaven; 09-12-2018 at 02:16 AM.
    Busy in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
    I personally would not cut them I would use them as they are, it's just a design element.

agree. Let the machine guide the strip. No strip set is cut perfectly. Not even when I cut it!
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

You can make a rail fence quilt and then square up each section.

For the original jelly roll "race" quilt it is really essential that all the strips be the same width, whatever that width is, because of the way they're pieced together, end to end. If you intend instead to sew one strip completely (along its length) to the next strip and repeat this process over and over, then it won't matter what width the strips are. In fact it will probably add interest to the design if they're different widths. However your quilt will wind up at about 42" (the length of each strip) x 80" (40 strips sewn together), so you will want to think about adding borders or doing something else to change the proportions.

I wouldn't wash a jelly roll, or any other precuts, because the strips are sure to fray. If they're not well sized before the washing, it will be much worse after you wash. If the strips are so poorly cut I would probably take them back to the shop and ask for a different product or a refund.

Blog Entries
    I trimmed the pieces that needed it. Project is going well!

Quote Originally Posted by Annie C View Post
    Please post a photo when the quilt is done.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

As a new quilter I think you made the right choice to trim. Working with the correct cut in any project usually results in a nicer looking project when done. It can be discouraging to try to make something work or fit especially as a new quilter. Good luck on your quilting journey. Looking forward to seeing your completed quilt.
    jackie

That is so frustrating when fabric isn't what is is supposed to be. I am working on a quilt that starts with a panel. When I cut the individual pictures from the panel they very in size, all at least an inch too small. So I have to adjust the pieces that surround the individual pictures, ugh. I measured the background fabric and it is not even 42 1/2 inches wide. From now on, I will have the width measured before I have it cut. So frustrating!

I sure agree with Post #9 about not prewashing the precuts...jelly rolls, charm packs, etc. until the project is completed.

As to Post #13, I got around the unequal sized pictures from a panel by adding sashing all around each picture and then squaring them all down to the same desired size. This works like a charm, and no one can tell the difference.

mac
    I recently purchased a number of off-white jelly rolls from JA's and out of 7 of them two of them were way off. It was obvious that their cutter had run amok and cut them very strangely. I took them back to JA's and they didn't have any more off-white, so they returned my money.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time to make what should have been cut right in the first place. The whole point of jelly rolls was to save you time and fixing their mistake goes against my grain.

I would return them to the store I bought them at or call the company that was supposed to cut them right in the first place and have them send you a new jelly roll. I recently heard that one of the big name fabric brands that cuts jelly rolls was having a lot of complaints about the accuracy of their rolls. I won't say the name, because I don't want to spread a rumor that may or may not be true. It just makes me realize that I need keep an eye on what I purchase to insure their accuracy or why buy them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie C View Post
    This is exactly what I would do. I just a few days ago made a quilt using 2-12"-2" ans 1" strips. I cut every one myself. Been using scraps for at least 2 years and did a lot of trimming. Not a big deal.

Welcome to this board. You will love it here.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    The trimming was pretty simple and I am glad I took the time to trim. However, I feel that the manufacturer could have produced a better product in the first place!

Next time, if a bunch seem wonky, Id take it back for a refund (unless youre in love with it, in which case the time spent correcting is worth it). I agree with some above that I would not recommend prewashing any precuts. To wash or not to wash (yardage) is highly debated and personal, but precuts are a definite no in my book.

Also, like another person said, once you get a lot more comfortable piecing, you will be able to eyeball it without trimming them down. Sounds like your project is going well so far!