Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scrappy Blooming 9 Patch

Scrappy Blooming 9 Patch

I have been working on a bunch of stash-buster quilts. I gathered groups of fabrics from my stash, usually based on a focus fabric, and matched them to patterns. They are all scrappy in the sense that I will use a bunch of different blues as my blue, etc. So I decided to try a scrappy blooming 9 patch, and it didn't work out well. I let my values range too much, so I have some distracting 9-patch squares that are too obvious amidst the color blooms. My conclusion is that this is one pattern best done with constant fabrics.

Has anyone else tried a scrappy blooming 9 patch, and did it work well for you? I would love to see photos of your blooming 9 patches!
    Lisa

I haven't one to show, but I'd love to see yours. It's really helpful to see what (the maker feels) doesn't work--and maybe someone's comment will change your mind?

It's quite ugly, so I'm kind of embarrassed to post a photo. Not my finest hour when it comes to fabric choices.
    Lisa

I bet there are dozens of people on this board that would disagree with you. One persons blunder is another's one joy. If you really don't like it, someone in a shelter would think it was beautiful and warm. We all make quilts that say " what was I thinking" and at a later date we look back and say, "well it's not as bad as I thought". Just think of all those scraps that are not in your stash anymore and all the fabric you can replace it with..

I never feel too bad about a top that doesn't come out well because it's always a learning experience, and because of all the reasons you state, too. I appreciate the encouraging words!
    Lisa

I would like to see it, too. I am not familiar with a Blooming 9 Patch, but it sounds intriguing. I have some pretty florals that would make nice prayer quilts.

There is no such thing as an unattractive bloomer.
    I have the entire quilt cut out an kitted up while we are touring the country. All thirties, and because I quit buying fabric in 2001, If I needed say 2 yards of yellows I may have five different fabrics.

this is the one I made about 2010, again all from stash. The fabrics do not go together at all, but it is one of my favorite quilts because it is Sharyn's stash archaeology
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks KalamaQuilts for posting your pics.
    You're an inspiration as I have wanted to do a B9P for some time ... so maybe sometime soon?

Joe'sMom ... Have you stitched your blocks together?
    Sometimes you need to see some of it stitched together to get a better sense as to how it will look.
    This can be said for many quilts, but the B9P would be even stronger in that direction.
    Likewise, seeing it from further away, helps us see the blend of fabrics.
    For example, shrink down that larger pic from KalamaQuilts, and see how different it is.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

No, it isn't stitched together. I've been kitting up these stash quilts rather than finishing them. I've already bagged up the blocks row by row to finish some other time.

Since among friends, here is a photo. It's loud.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lisa

Joe'smom, that will be a beautiful quilt when it is finished! I love the scrappiness of it! I wish I could get out of my color-controlling (coordinating) ways.....
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

I really like it. It is nicer than most I found here:blooming-nine-patch-quilts

Oh, wow, I love it! I don't know if you're already familiar with Kaffe Fasset's fabric/quilts, but it reminds me of his vibe.

I love it! You did a great job with contrast so that the design really stands out.

I love the colors and can see why it is called a Blooming 9 Patch. I can see it and feel the comfort as I sit in a wicker chair on the porch as the days cool. I am reading a book and sipping a beverage.

stunning. simply stunning. a show stopper. Sighs with delight...

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    stunning. simply stunning. a show stopper. Sighs with delight...
    Couldn't have said it better!! Real Eyecandy!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-18-2018 at 03:42 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

That is Not ugly! It's absolutely beautiful!!!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-18-2018 at 03:43 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Barb

No one can make you feel inferior unless you allow them to...Eleanor Roosevelt

I think you did very well with this quilt, Lisa. If you don't like it, maybe it will "grow" on you as you put it together.

Wow! ... spectacular!!!!!!!!
    I love the freshness of the colours. My first thought was ice cream sherbet!
    I'm glad that I gave you that nudge to post your pic, Joe'sMom! ...
    ... you have one amazing quilt on the way.

The deeper tones at the outer edge are really framing it all in nicely.

Curious? ....how large are each of your squares?

and ....... if we haven't switched your mind on this beauty, then I'll gladly adopt it!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-18-2018 at 03:43 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Well now I'm glad I posted the photo, LOL. It was more color than I usually work with. Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

QuiltE, the squares are 4 1/4" in. I used the directions found in the book, 'Tradition with a Twist' by Blanche Young and Dalene Young Stone.
    Lisa

Thanks Joe'sMom!! ... I can see that if you are not used to a lot of colour in your quilts
    how this one might have jumped at you a little strong. Hang tight ... and continue on!
    I think you are about to fall in love with it .... and with colour!

I love it. It will be beautiful when finished.

Lisa, keep going it is gorgeous. Guessing you are too close to the product but it needs to be made.

You've done an excellent job in matching up the color values/prints of your various rows in a scrappy manner, rather than using all the same print for the row. Well done!

I agree with others, it's very pretty. There are people who use a lot of Civil War fabrics with a more somber tone, and other people that use lots of modern designer brights. Some people use all matched fabrics making every block the same, other go wild with scraps. It's all good. :-) I have a feeling with this one, you just sort of shocked yourself doing something you don't usually do. I too wondered what size block to use. 4 1/2"? That makes the 9patch pieces pretty small!

If you want to reduce the brightness, make your next rows in tans and browns.

This is the first time I've seen or been aware of the Blooming 9 patch. I really like them. Your quilt is beautiful. The patterns remind me of watercolor quilts. Bucket list worthy!
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast