Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blooming nine patch tut >

Blooming nine patch tut

Blooming nine patch tut

Old 04-28-2011, 11:02 AM

What is a blooming nine patch and is there a tutorial on this board for , it must be easy being nine patch and all. :?:
Old 04-28-2011, 11:08 AM
MTS
Banned

It's a pattern in the book "Traditions With A Twist" by Blanche Young.

It's a great book, with many worthwhile patterns in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Tradition-Twis...4017611&sr=8-1

There are many used copies out there. It's an older book, but still one of the better sellers.

If you do an image search on Bloomin (or Blooming) 9 Patch on Google, you'll see a lovely collection.
http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...aql=&oq=<br />
Old 04-28-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
It's a pattern in the book "Traditions With A Twist" by Blanche Young.

It's a great book, with many worthwhile patterns in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Tradition-Twis...4017611&sr=8-1

There are many used copies out there. It's an older book, but still one of the better sellers.

If you do an image search on Bloomin (or Blooming) 9 Patch on Google, you'll see a lovely collection.
http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...qi=g2&aql=&oq=
Thanks will do. :P
Old 04-28-2011, 11:16 AM
MTS
Banned

As for being easy.....
Yep, a lot of 9 patches. A LOT. But they're 3.75" finished. Over 250, depending on the size you make. But you'll learn a ton about accuracy and strip piecing, even if you think you already have that covered. ;-)

I've made about a dozen, and taught it at a LQS for a couple of years.

It's involved. The most difficult and interesting part is choosing the fabrics. You need to have a LQS with a really, really big selection so you can make choices. It ain't something that's done in 15 minutes.

It's all about crazy patterned fabric that you would normally NEVER put together in a quilt.

If you ever decide to make one ;-), I've got a ton of tips.

Good luck!

Here's one that was just posted on the board this afternoon - check out her fabric selection:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-119425-1.htm
Old 04-28-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
As for being easy.....
Yep, a lot of 9 patches. A LOT. But they're 3.75" finished. Over 250, depending on the size you make. But you'll learn a ton about accuracy and strip piecing, even if you think you already have that covered. ;-)

It's involved. The most difficult and interesting part is choosing the fabrics. You need to have a LQS with a really, really big selection so you can make choices. It ain't something that's done in 15 minutes.

Good luck!
Tips? I like tips.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
As for being easy.....

It's all about crazy patterned fabric that you would normally NEVER put together in a quilt.

Good luck!

Here's one that was just posted on the board this afternoon - check out her fabric selection:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-119425-1.htm
Thanks for the advise and when I do make one I will most likely take you up on your tip offer, her fabric picks are Beautiful, thanks for the link. :-D
Old 04-28-2011, 11:55 AM

MTS,

Post your Tips!!! (make a tutorial)

I love this pattern, but have not yet made it. I have an idea for what I want to do, though.

And thanks for the link to the recently completed blooming nine patch. How on earth she chose those fabrics is beyond me.

-- Jillaine
Old 04-28-2011, 11:59 AM
BMP

Thanks
Old 04-28-2011, 03:42 PM

That's a beautiful quilt with beautiful fabrics in the link. I wonder if that book, or books, is still available. I just reread the post above, and sounds like the book might be out of print. Does anyone know?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:21 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by nlgh
That's a beautiful quilt with beautiful fabrics in the link. I wonder if that book, or books, is still available. I just reread the post above, and sounds like the book might be out of print. Does anyone know?
Nope not OOP. They keep reprinting it because it's a really good pattern book. You can easily find it on eBay or Amazon (used) if you don't want to buy new. And most quilt guild libraries I'm sure have it, if not the public library. And if your LQS doesn't have it, they can order it.

I think there's a Kindle version. But to be honest, I'd prefer the book (can you print out Kindle pages?).