Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/jo-ann-fabrics-employees-t155280.html)

LindaWheattall 09-23-2011 02:52 PM

Has anyone ever been short changed on the amount of fabric? I've bought fabric and fusible there and sometimes I only get 32-34 inches. It's too far to waste the gas to take it back.

craftybear 09-23-2011 02:53 PM

I would call the store and talk to manager and complain!

CoriAmD 09-23-2011 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by LindaWheattall
Has anyone ever been short changed on the amount of fabric? I've bought fabric and fusible there and sometimes I only get 32-34 inches. It's too far to waste the gas to take it back.

I stand right there and make sure it is exactly what I asked for before they cut. If I see the gal starting to snip, I stop her and ask her to check it again... politely saying.. "I really need a full yard for my project". Most of the cutters at the JoAnn's I go to are a little generous when they cut, going just a tad over the 36 inches.

LindaWheattall 09-23-2011 02:57 PM

I'll have to pay closer attention from now on!

cherrio 09-23-2011 02:58 PM

I like most of the girls at JoAnns here, but NEVER have they over cut a yd by even a tad! I spose I should measure to see if they under cut by any more than a tad. hmmm

PaperPrincess 09-23-2011 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD

Originally Posted by LindaWheattall

I stand right there and make sure it is exactly what I asked for before they cut. If I see the gal starting to snip, I stop her and ask her to check it again... politely saying.. "I really need a full yard for my project". Most of the cutters at the JoAnn's I go to are a little generous when they cut, going just a tad over the 36 inches.

Me too I watch them like a hawk, however I will say that most of the cutters at my store are experienced and make sure that the fabric is straight etc.

luvstitches 09-23-2011 03:06 PM

I used to work there and they made us pinch the fabric so the customer didn't get 1/16th of an inch more.
Yes,you watch them and count with them.

Challys 09-23-2011 03:07 PM

I always watch!

grayma 09-23-2011 03:19 PM

Yes, when the new JoAnn's opened every one of my fabrics was short. When I go now, I make sure I get a clerk that I am familiar with so that I get what I pay for.

ckcowl 09-23-2011 03:19 PM

it is always a good idea to pay attention- and not let the sales person( person cutting) to be visiting---not payin attention when having product cut-
it's not just joannes=
i've been at lqs' when the clerk was talking away- (chit=chatting) while measuring/cutting to find you only get 2 yards when you asked for 3= or to get 3/4 of a yard when you asked for 1 1/2.
i used to wander away and look at other items while my stack of fabrics were being cut- only to find i did not get any cuts i asked for- even when i had 5 bolts and said-i'd like one yard of each----to me that should be easy---only to find i got anything from 1/2 yard to 1 1/4 yards- she was busy chatting with a different customer while cutting my fabric---now i stand there-and watch the measuring- and even question it before they cut if i don't think it's lined up right - and i watch to see what the fabric looks like as it is being rolled off the bolt- i've seen (at joannes) fabric that is in 2 pieces- put together with a wide zigzag- and the sales person was going to just give me my piece with that (seam) down a section of my cut---i tell them-no i don't want that= please start over beyond the seam....most of the time they will automatically- but once in a while- they don't even seem to see it/pay any attention to it- unless it is brought to their attention.