Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Joann no longer accepting VIP discount cards (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/joann-no-longer-accepting-vip-discount-cards-t281680.html)

elly66 08-27-2016 04:31 AM

Joann no longer accepting VIP discount cards

Has anyone else ran into Joann no longer accepting VIP discount cards (the ones from guilds etc)? That's what a manager had told me yesterday. They're phasing them out and the only discount cards will be the teacher's and military.

I guess it just gives me one more reason to limit my shopping there. Over the past year there's been several things like this (usually with their coupons - one from their calendar) that it just doesn't seem to be worth the effort anyone though my Joann store has a great staff.

PaperPrincess 08-27-2016 04:52 AM

Hm, I just renewed my AQS membership and they give info on how to get your card.

tessagin 08-27-2016 04:57 AM

In the last month I have seen new faces (staff) at the JoAnn's in my town of Corpus Christi. I still have 4-5 other choices to shop. We have a Tuesday Morning very close to me across from the Walmart in my backyard. Am anxious to go this Sunday for a couple of items that will be on sale. They sell a few fabric pieces, fat quarters and couple jelly rolls. Not bad for the price even if an off brand. Once in a while a sewing machine or 2 (no deal there). we'll see how it goes tomorrow. I still like my local shops and try to support them as much as I can afford.

feline fanatic 08-27-2016 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7637892)
Hm, I just renewed my AQS membership and they give info on how to get your card.

Me too PP. Although if I rarely shop JA and the VIP discount card is not one of the reasons I renew. Elly66 if your VIP card is through AQS I think you should contact AQS and let them know. Either the employees at your local JA are mis-informed or AQS needs to amend their benefits of membership.

cashs_mom 08-27-2016 06:18 AM

Hmmm . . . I need to check with the sewing guild here. I get my card thru them and know the past president and several others. I guess Joanns decided with their competition out of the way, they don't need to cater to people as much. How annoying!

ManiacQuilter2 08-27-2016 06:20 AM

This sort of reminds me when JC Penney's took away the coupons and sales plummet. I can't even remember the last time I shopped at JAF. I shop the sales at Fabric Shack and Hancock of Paducah.

willferg 08-27-2016 06:38 AM

Interesting. I heard something different – that they are phasing out their student/educator and non-profit discount cards, but that they can be converted to a VIP card if done before they expire. I have the non-profit one, and I'm hoping to get in to a Joann's soon to convert it.

puma 08-27-2016 06:43 AM

my local quilt shop has a 'rewards' program. they keep track of your purchases. when it reaches a certain amt. you get a discount. $10 off $30; 20% off $50. something like that. I never considered joanns fabric worth my time to purchase and make something with. the quality just wasn't there. if im goin to put time and effort into something, I don't want it to fade or look crummy after a while. just not worth it to me. try goin into your local independent shop and feeling the fabric; then go to joanns. cant tell me there isn't a difference. i'll shop local and try to help mom & pop stores keep their heads above water. besides when I have a problem or need help, the local shops are always there to help.

Krisb 08-27-2016 06:46 AM

Teachers and VIP programs continue. Student and nonprofit ended. Details on website.

ontheriver 08-27-2016 07:15 AM

I have to shop Joanns, no other place near, and it is an hour away. Used to be a hancocks but now gone. I always use my military discount and coupons as much as I can. There is a quilt shop in tuskaloosa I go to some, hour and half away, make sure never to go on game days, traffic horrible. Shop online a lot, just got my first order from marshals, very fast delivery. On vacation this summer I went to Missouri star and marshals and stocked up.