Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Joann no longer accepting VIP discount cards >

Joann no longer accepting VIP discount cards

Joann no longer accepting VIP discount cards

Old 08-27-2016, 04:31 AM

Default Joann no longer accepting VIP discount cards

Has anyone else ran into Joann no longer accepting VIP discount cards (the ones from guilds etc)? That's what a manager had told me yesterday. They're phasing them out and the only discount cards will be the teacher's and military.

I guess it just gives me one more reason to limit my shopping there. Over the past year there's been several things like this (usually with their coupons - one from their calendar) that it just doesn't seem to be worth the effort anyone though my Joann store has a great staff.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

Hm, I just renewed my AQS membership and they give info on how to get your card.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

In the last month I have seen new faces (staff) at the JoAnn's in my town of Corpus Christi. I still have 4-5 other choices to shop. We have a Tuesday Morning very close to me across from the Walmart in my backyard. Am anxious to go this Sunday for a couple of items that will be on sale. They sell a few fabric pieces, fat quarters and couple jelly rolls. Not bad for the price even if an off brand. Once in a while a sewing machine or 2 (no deal there). we'll see how it goes tomorrow. I still like my local shops and try to support them as much as I can afford.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Hm, I just renewed my AQS membership and they give info on how to get your card.
Me too PP. Although if I rarely shop JA and the VIP discount card is not one of the reasons I renew. Elly66 if your VIP card is through AQS I think you should contact AQS and let them know. Either the employees at your local JA are mis-informed or AQS needs to amend their benefits of membership.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:18 AM

Hmmm . . . I need to check with the sewing guild here. I get my card thru them and know the past president and several others. I guess Joanns decided with their competition out of the way, they don't need to cater to people as much. How annoying!
Old 08-27-2016, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

This sort of reminds me when JC Penney's took away the coupons and sales plummet. I can't even remember the last time I shopped at JAF. I shop the sales at Fabric Shack and Hancock of Paducah.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:38 AM

Interesting. I heard something different – that they are phasing out their student/educator and non-profit discount cards, but that they can be converted to a VIP card if done before they expire. I have the non-profit one, and I'm hoping to get in to a Joann's soon to convert it.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:43 AM

my local quilt shop has a 'rewards' program. they keep track of your purchases. when it reaches a certain amt. you get a discount. $10 off $30; 20% off $50. something like that. I never considered joanns fabric worth my time to purchase and make something with. the quality just wasn't there. if im goin to put time and effort into something, I don't want it to fade or look crummy after a while. just not worth it to me. try goin into your local independent shop and feeling the fabric; then go to joanns. cant tell me there isn't a difference. i'll shop local and try to help mom & pop stores keep their heads above water. besides when I have a problem or need help, the local shops are always there to help.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:46 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Teachers and VIP programs continue. Student and nonprofit ended. Details on website.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:15 AM

I have to shop Joanns, no other place near, and it is an hour away. Used to be a hancocks but now gone. I always use my military discount and coupons as much as I can. There is a quilt shop in tuskaloosa I go to some, hour and half away, make sure never to go on game days, traffic horrible. Shop online a lot, just got my first order from marshals, very fast delivery. On vacation this summer I went to Missouri star and marshals and stocked up.