Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Longer Accepting Sewing Stuff At Our Goodwill :(

No Longer Accepting Sewing Stuff At Our Goodwill :(

It's organization time and so I took a lot of sewing tools and fabric that I no longer wanted to our local Goodwill. Sadly, they said that they are no longer accepting sewing goods. I don't know if this applies to all Goodwills, or just ours. The items were still in good condition, clean and very usable. I don't belong to a guild, and the closest guild is over an hour drive away, so I guess I'll just throw them away. Our local fabric store is also closing. I guess no one around here is sewing anymore. So sad!

~ C

Please put them in the Free Offers or Offers section here. I know there are people who would gladly scoop them up, and even pay postage if you didn't want anything for the items.

Power Poster
    I think it is reasonable to ask to be reimbursed for the cost of postage/shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by zozee View Post
    Please put them in the Free Offers or Offers section here. I know there are people who would gladly scoop them up, and even pay postage if you didn't want anything for the items.
    Good idea! Will do...thanks.

~C

Before you throw all the usable stuff away, call your local church. Many of them have quilting groups and would love anything could give.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    Before you throw all the usable stuff away, call your local church. Many of them have quilting groups and would love anything could give.
    or the senior center if you have one. or maybe a girl scout troop or 4-H?
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Quote Originally Posted by zozee View Post
    or carry them to a local thrift shop... or list them on eBay. I hate to see useful stuff just tossed. Maybe that's why I've got such a huge stash and tons of sewing things I've kept for years because I may need that someday. I really have to get rid of some stuff... maybe tomorrow!!

Lots of good ideas. Don't throw them away!

I can tell you that the local 4-H club here is always GLAD to get sich items.

I donate nothing to Good Will, haven't for years. They are picky about everything and are not what they once were. I take all our donations to Salvation Army or local church thrift shops. I don't shop GW either, expensive and find prices of some things more than you can buy them for new, such as $1 soup mugs from Dollar General. GW was asking $2. Unbelievable.

Even the uglies! One of our local churches uses those for mission quilts. The uglies aren't as apt to be stolen and sold by neer-do-wells.

Some Habitat for Humanity Restores sell fabric and sewing supplies. You might check with them if you have one close.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Needles View Post
    I donate nothing to Good Will, haven't for years. They are picky about everything and are not what they once were. I take all our donations to Salvation Army or local church thrift shops. I don't shop GW either, expensive and find prices of some things more than you can buy them for new, such as $1 soup mugs from Dollar General. GW was asking $2. Unbelievable.
    I don't shop or donate to Goodwill since I learned how much their CEO was being paid and they are expensive.

[QUOTE=tropit;8136674]so I guess I'll just throw them away]

I don't think I could throw away any usable sewing stuff. The local Baptist Church where I attend meetings of a group that sews for overseas charity is host to at least three quilting groups. Our group has a rummage sale that accepts items from many different sources, and sewing items are always popular.

I wouldn't throw any away. Surely there are good causes out there that you could find to help.
    P.S. I sent you a p.m. message

I never throw anything useful away. The land fills can not use any items. At least veg peelings and such rot.

I always give to Goodwill, it is convenient and I don't care how much the CEO makes. What I give them would not bring in enough money to help his income nor anyone elses.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Please don't throw it away. Box it and send it to me. I will pay shipping costs for you. Please let me know if you will.
    Charlotte
    Life is Good!

Blog Entries
    I took fabric to one of our local Goodwills and they put it out right away. It must have sold quickly because it wasn't there the next day. Mine have never refused to take anything. Quilting fabric is taken to UFO or sewing days and is also gone quickly. I usually save my scraps for a friend who does art projects.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I never throw anything useful away. The land fills can not use any items. At least veg peelings and such rot.

I always give to Goodwill, it is convenient and I don't care how much the CEO makes. What I give them would not bring in enough money to help his income nor anyone elses.

I agree. Goodwill offers job training, they have nice buildings, the employees learn job skills, they keep the place clean and organized. It is NOT run by volunteers. It really is not a non-profit. People need to develop good job skills in prep for their next position. I don’t have an issue with Goodwill. I love to poke around there.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    It's organization time and so I took a lot of sewing tools and fabric that I no longer wanted to our local Goodwill. Sadly, they said that they are no longer accepting sewing goods. I don't know if this applies to all Goodwills, or just ours. The items were still in good condition, clean and very usable. I don't belong to a guild, and the closest guild is over an hour drive away, so I guess I'll just throw them away. Our local fabric store is also closing. I guess no one around here is sewing anymore. So sad!

~ C
    Is there a women's prison within a reasonable distance of you? Sometimes they will accept sewing items as donations to be used by the inmates. I don't know what you have to offer, but you could contact them.

Check with local school systems, some accept donations of fabric for students who cannnot afford fabric. We have that option here in Central Iowa.

Good will is not a charity. I is not a 501C3 non profit. It is a for profit company started by the CEO. Until he was discovered as a "fraud" when it came to charity, he did not contribute anything to charity, now he says he contributes 10% of profits. Yeah, right, who is checking on that?

The GW local to me doesn't seem to accept fabric anymore, either. They cut the 'linens' department down to i/8th of a rack, so not much at all to choose from.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Blog Entries
    don't know where you are located, but I thought I would put my 3 cents in; you got a craigs list? theres a free section on there, you have a trash nothing? they have like wanted, needed, section, and yes those other things the ladies mentioned is super, right here on this list, there are some that want or needs material, holidays coming up, I do have a couple of senior centers nearby me, they are pleased to receive material and yarn, the girl scouts. other is right around the corner from you, google those charities... this goes for the yarn too. and goodwill isn't a charity? hmm, didn't know that. thanks for that. hope this helps oh (heheheheh) I am in need for material......be glad to pay postage
    we don't meet people by accident.Everyone is meant to cross our path for a reason.

Blog Entries
    It must only be some stores. My son works for Goodwill and they take sewing stuff. Unfortunately his almost always sends the good stuff to e-commerce.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast