Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   No Longer Accepting Sewing Stuff At Our Goodwill :( (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/no-longer-accepting-sewing-stuff-our-goodwill-t299949.html)

tropit 10-02-2018 09:48 AM

No Longer Accepting Sewing Stuff At Our Goodwill :(

It's organization time and so I took a lot of sewing tools and fabric that I no longer wanted to our local Goodwill. Sadly, they said that they are no longer accepting sewing goods. I don't know if this applies to all Goodwills, or just ours. The items were still in good condition, clean and very usable. I don't belong to a guild, and the closest guild is over an hour drive away, so I guess I'll just throw them away. Our local fabric store is also closing. I guess no one around here is sewing anymore. So sad!

~ C

zozee 10-02-2018 10:07 AM

Please put them in the Free Offers or Offers section here. I know there are people who would gladly scoop them up, and even pay postage if you didn't want anything for the items.

bearisgray 10-02-2018 10:23 AM

I think it is reasonable to ask to be reimbursed for the cost of postage/shipping.

tropit 10-02-2018 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 8136683)
Please put them in the Free Offers or Offers section here. I know there are people who would gladly scoop them up, and even pay postage if you didn't want anything for the items.

Good idea! Will do...thanks.

~C

Boston1954 10-02-2018 10:25 AM

Before you throw all the usable stuff away, call your local church. Many of them have quilting groups and would love anything could give.

QuiltnNan 10-02-2018 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 (Post 8136697)
Before you throw all the usable stuff away, call your local church. Many of them have quilting groups and would love anything could give.

or the senior center if you have one. or maybe a girl scout troop or 4-H?

SillySusan 10-02-2018 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 8136683)

or carry them to a local thrift shop... or list them on eBay. I hate to see useful stuff just tossed. Maybe that's why I've got such a huge stash and tons of sewing things I've kept for years because I may need that someday. I really have to get rid of some stuff... maybe tomorrow!!

SusieQOH 10-03-2018 03:59 AM

Lots of good ideas. Don't throw them away!

carolynjo 10-03-2018 05:27 AM

I can tell you that the local 4-H club here is always GLAD to get sich items.

Needles 10-03-2018 05:29 AM

I donate nothing to Good Will, haven't for years. They are picky about everything and are not what they once were. I take all our donations to Salvation Army or local church thrift shops. I don't shop GW either, expensive and find prices of some things more than you can buy them for new, such as $1 soup mugs from Dollar General. GW was asking $2. Unbelievable.