Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Judy Niemeyer patterns...How hard are they? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/judy-niemeyer-patterns-how-hard-they-t222736.html)

qbtexas 06-03-2013 03:51 AM

I consider myself to be "medium" level for paper piecing....and am working on a Judy Niemeyer quilt right now (Briar Patch) with very little difficulty. Patience and paying attention are good traits to have, but I am not finding it very frustrating at all, and now that I have sort of gotten into a groove, I've been enjoying it. I don't know if you can search my posts, but one thing I did to help was to sort of make sample pieces of each step of the piecing, so I can look at what each piece's placement needs to be. It was a handy reference.

qbtexas 06-03-2013 03:53 AM

Here is that post I referred to: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...n-t219976.html

Vat 06-03-2013 04:06 AM

I just finished Judy's Waterfalls pattern. It was a real pleasure to make. You use only three (3) fabrics. I believe it is simplier than many of her other paper-piecing. IF you have never done paper-piecing you might want to try one of the Waterfalls variaties. I did find a better way of cutting the fabric (to save fabric) than what Judy suggest but loved the end result of the entire process. Go for it ! ! !

Grandma Mary 06-03-2013 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 6097594)
I've been mesmerized by the beautiful quilts done with Judy Niemeyer's patterns, using paper piecing techniques. I'd like to try one, but it might be over my head. I would rate myself at about a 4, or 5 out of 10 in skill level. Anyone else ever tried one of Judy's patterns? How difficult was it? Thanks.

~ Cindy

I actually took a class at a LQS forone of her patterns and was very glad I did.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...h-t208951.html

It was nice to have support because each single snowflake had 144 pieces in it. The instructor was able to break it down into manageable sections, and was very helpful with ideas of how to label and store each part. I never would have been able to complete it without the class. However, now that I have the experience, I could do the next one on my own.

petpainter 06-03-2013 04:35 AM

I took a class from a national teacher of the NY Beauty with paper piecing and just loved it! (first time) I think some people really like it or don't. If you like details and have patience- you will tend to like it better and have an easier time. Attitude has a lot to do with it!

SueSew 06-03-2013 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6097649)
Some are harder than others. I learned paper piecing by taking a class that used a pattern (Indian Summer) that Judy Niemeyer made for teaching. That one is very easy to make. Once you are comfortable with paper piecing, the patterns aren't hard to sew. I was surprised when even the curves went together easily, and I hadn't sewn curves before. The one caveat is that IMHO the instructions in the pattern are not well written, and I have found lots of mistakes in each one I've done. (I think the later patterns may have fewer mistakes than the earlier ones.) If you already know paper piecing, you will not be relying entirely on the instructions but will know what needs to be done, so it will be easier, but if you're trying to learn paper piecing from her more complicated patterns you may have problems.

Dunster, so right!

I did one class with a Judy-trained official certified instructor and the first thing out of her mouth was 'For those of you doing the table-runner, the printed drawings are wrong and the corrections you downloaded from the internet site aren't complete, and a couple of the pieces are numbered wrong for the order of attachment.'

It was very complicated process, a huge list of supplies, some not needed at all, some stuff had to be pre-cut as pre-class homework, using complicated incomplete instructions from the Judy site...

Judy's method is supposed to make it foolproof, with all the numbering and instructions and little binder-clipped and plastic-bagged labeled pieces, but .... Good luck!!!

zelda 06-03-2013 05:09 AM

Don't give up - the most important thing I do when following one of her patterns is to get zip-loc bags and label each one as she directs. Keep pieces in their proper bag and just go slowly and carefully until everything becomes clear -

joycet 06-03-2013 05:22 AM

I haven 't taken one of her classes but a friend of mine has...several of them. She said the most important part...besides knowing how to paper piece is organization of your fabric. I heard the rest was very easy. I do have one of her patterns but haven't tried it yet. Maybe I will as soon as I get some UFOs finished. LOL

grabba 06-03-2013 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 6097594)
I've been mesmerized by the beautiful quilts done with Judy Niemeyer's patterns, using paper piecing techniques. I'd like to try one, but it might be over my head. I would rate myself at about a 4, or 5 out of 10 in skill level. Anyone else ever tried one of Judy's patterns? How difficult was it? Thanks.

~ Cindy

Good morning, I am taking a class here in Montana and making the Mariners Compass. I never knew anything about paper piecing before. It was a quite difficult at first for me to understand what I was doing but the more I read it, and make some mistakes, the more I am getting my mind around it . Enjoying it very much. Our class is just once a month so it gives me time to work on it. I have ordered another pattern for a Table runner and will make that will help from our instructor who is down here once a month. Hope you enjoy it

Vera39760 06-03-2013 06:00 AM

Thanks for posting the information for pattern corrections. I have Amazon Star that is ready to start when I finish the two quilts I am currently working on. I fell in love with this pattern the first time I saw it, but know I need to be able to concentrate on it when I start. I have the fabric washed labeled and ready.

Right now I am working on a star quilt for my mother and Easy Streets by Bonnie Hunter.