Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Judy Niemeyer patterns...How hard are they? >
  • Judy Niemeyer patterns...How hard are they?

• Judy Niemeyer patterns...How hard are they?

Old 06-01-2013, 06:37 AM

Default Judy Niemeyer patterns...How hard are they?

I've been mesmerized by the beautiful quilts done with Judy Niemeyer's patterns, using paper piecing techniques. I'd like to try one, but it might be over my head. I would rate myself at about a 4, or 5 out of 10 in skill level. Anyone else ever tried one of Judy's patterns? How difficult was it? Thanks.

~ Cindy
    Old 06-01-2013, 07:01 AM
    Power Poster

Some are harder than others. I learned paper piecing by taking a class that used a pattern (Indian Summer) that Judy Niemeyer made for teaching. That one is very easy to make. Once you are comfortable with paper piecing, the patterns aren't hard to sew. I was surprised when even the curves went together easily, and I hadn't sewn curves before. The one caveat is that IMHO the instructions in the pattern are not well written, and I have found lots of mistakes in each one I've done. (I think the later patterns may have fewer mistakes than the earlier ones.) If you already know paper piecing, you will not be relying entirely on the instructions but will know what needs to be done, so it will be easier, but if you're trying to learn paper piecing from her more complicated patterns you may have problems.
    Old 06-01-2013, 07:16 AM

I have never done any of her patterns. But, there is a class offered over at Craftsy on paper piecing. It's called "Mastering Foundation Paper Piecing" and is taught by Carol Doak. I'm not real good at paper piecing. You need to be able to think backwards and my brain has trouble with that!

http://www.craftsy.com/classes/quilting
    Check them out. I have signed up for several of the other classes and have not been disappointed. Maybe someone here has taken this one.

I don't think I have paid full price for a class yet. I wait for their sales. You just missed a good one over Mother's Day weekend. Sign up for their newsletters. You can also watch their intro videos - that will let you know if your computer can handle the videos. Some have better luck watching them through Chrome rather than IE or Mozilla.

They also have a few freebies. Look under the sewing as well as the quilting ones for the freebies.
    Old 06-01-2013, 07:33 AM

I just purchased one of her patterns (plus the quilt kit). I too am just an advanced beginner or early intermediate at this point (sewing for about 2 years now). I haven't done any paper piecing but I've seen tutorial videos. The pattern I received was just so, so overwhelming I couldn't believe it. It is all black and white (no color), tiny print and 12 pages long. The diagrams are all drawings and very small and detailed. I'm not saying it is impossible but it will take a great deal of studying and concentration to just read through the directions and understand them. I put it away for now feeling pretty disappointed. I am leaning towards making the quilt without paper piecing (the design can be made very simply using HST it will just give you all the seams is all).
    Old 06-01-2013, 07:48 AM
    Power Poster

When it comes to paper piecing, I look at all the different free tutorials. I have a book from an estate sale by JoAnne Larsen. Quilt maker's book. It has everything in it. I just try to take a step at a time. I look at the mariner's compass and some of the other patterns and think maybe later. I think a lot is left out of her patterns from what I've seen. I practice paper piecing once in a while. Right now I'm working on Jenny Doan's periwinkle and the spider web.
    Old 06-01-2013, 07:59 AM

I have Alex Anderson's newly updated paper piecing book and it is wonderful. My avatar is her paper pieced Sampler from her book. I loved making it. I agree that FREE videos online are perfect for learning.
    Old 06-01-2013, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria
    I just purchased one of her patterns (plus the quilt kit). I too am just an advanced beginner or early intermediate at this point (sewing for about 2 years now). I haven't done any paper piecing but I've seen tutorial videos. The pattern I received was just so, so overwhelming I couldn't believe it. It is all black and white (no color), tiny print and 12 pages long. The diagrams are all drawings and very small and detailed. I'm not saying it is impossible but it will take a great deal of studying and concentration to just read through the directions and understand them. I put it away for now feeling pretty disappointed. I am leaning towards making the quilt without paper piecing (the design can be made very simply using HST it will just give you all the seams is all).
    Hummm... Your experience sounds discouraging. I may be getting over my head with this idea. I would like to suggest that you might want to blow up the instructions, so that they are easier to read. I do that often and I really helps. I have a scanner, so I just scan the page and then blow it up on my computer. You could also go to a copy place to do that. It's well worth the effort and expense.
    Old 06-01-2013, 08:15 AM

I am taking Carol Doak's PP class at Craftsy right now. I started last night. The class is terrific. Each segment I am learning valuable tips.

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
    I have never done any of her patterns. But, there is a class offered over at Craftsy on paper piecing. It's called "Mastering Foundation Paper Piecing" and is taught by Carol Doak. I'm not real good at paper piecing. You need to be able to think backwards and my brain has trouble with that!

http://www.craftsy.com/classes/quilting
    Check them out. I have signed up for several of the other classes and have not been disappointed. Maybe someone here has taken this one.

I don't think I have paid full price for a class yet. I wait for their sales. You just missed a good one over Mother's Day weekend. Sign up for their newsletters. You can also watch their intro videos - that will let you know if your computer can handle the videos. Some have better luck watching them through Chrome rather than IE or Mozilla.

They also have a few freebies. Look under the sewing as well as the quilting ones for the freebies.
    Old 06-01-2013, 09:08 AM

I will chime in and say Carol Doak is the only paper piecing I've been able to follow. Her instructions make sense to my brain.

I think before I bought a pattern and fabric, I would consider the Craftsy class to get confident at paper piecing in general.
    Old 06-01-2013, 09:32 AM
    Power Poster

if you have paper piecing experience, are comfortable with the process, have patience, are good about paying attention you are ready for one of Judy's patterns- don't start with the most complex one- Indian Summer is a good start- after you do one of her patterns so you are comfortable with the way her patterns are written & the process makes sense you can move to more & more complex- if you can find one a class is a great way to start- there are 'Certified Judy Niemeyer pattern quilt shops' where employees or owners have gone to workshops/classes & learned how to teach her patterns.