Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Juki TL98Q Questions concerns etc...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/juki-tl98q-questions-concerns-etc-t304085.html)

Chel826 04-09-2019 10:59 AM

Juki TL98Q Questions concerns etc......

I am just learning how to use one that was given to me. It has a stitch regulator. I am curious how everyone that has this machine deals with the 6” pantograph? I was soooooo hoping since it said it had a 9 inch space I would be able to do bigger. A little sad.

QuiltnNan 04-09-2019 11:05 AM

yes, it is sad. I had a 98Q on a frame, and with the rolling of the quilt, the longest/tallest design I could do was 4".

sewbizgirl 04-09-2019 11:07 AM

I have the TL2010Q, which is the upgrade but still very similar to your machine. Someone must have put a stitch regulator on it, as they didn't come with them originally.

Why don't you ditch the panto and try some FMQ on it, as big as you want? That machine is great at FMQ. I've used mine to quilt big quilts, before I bought a Juki longarm.

Have fun! It's a great machine.

*editing to add: My advice assumes your machine is not in a frame. If it is, then yes you are limited to the length of the throat. I don't believe I would use that machine in a frame....

Chel826 04-09-2019 11:33 AM

Sewbiz, its in a pinnacle frame. So, yes sad.

Chel826 04-09-2019 11:34 AM

Quiltnan, I forgot about rolling it. Ugh thanks lol

Jingle 04-09-2019 12:25 PM

My Juki TL98QE does not have stitch regulator. I don't have it on a frame and I mostly do FMQ and love it.

Shelbie 04-09-2019 02:27 PM

We tried using my Juki TL98Q on a frame with a stitch regulator. We quilted a couple of baby quilts (did a good job) but we quickly realized that this set up would be too small to handle the many Community Quilts and QOV’s that we do. We then purchased an APQS Lenni in October 2016 and have quilted more than 400 quilts.

Chel826 04-10-2019 01:12 AM

Jingle, so far I am loving this machine. It has beautiful stitches. I am kind of fighting the FMQ because (this is going to sound crazy) I hate all that fabric around. I like that frame keeps it all neat and tidy. I am a hand quilter. But that being said, this is really a nice little machine and I am slipping to the dark side. Lol
Shelbie, we are waiting on a part to come in and my mom is already looking into a Q’nique r15. Because she doesn’t think we will be happy with doing small pantographs.? But I am finding out, its not unusual to make 2 passes on larger pantographs?

patchwork 04-10-2019 04:38 AM

You can "baste" your quilts for FMQ on your set up. Just baste with a long stitch every 3-4". Now the quilt is really stable to FMQ or hand quilt. I do this on my longarm for hand quilters. They can work on it for years without pins and it will stay stable. Could also FMQ and then remove the thread. I love my Juki. I have 2. Workhorse. Beautiful stitch.

Chel826 04-10-2019 06:13 AM

Patchwork, do you mind me asking what kind of Juki’s do you have?