Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just because I own a sewing Machine . . . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-because-i-own-sewing-machine-t60614.html)

stitchinwitch 08-23-2010 05:07 AM

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes - but IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN!!!After going thru all that work, is it appreciated HECK NO!!.................whew! I feel better now.........

Mickie612 08-23-2010 05:22 AM

I do simple mending on the barter system. For fresh veggies or one lady cleans my house. As for large sewing projects bridesmaid or even bridal I just tell them what I will charge, totally out of range prices and that stops them. But sometimes it depends on who it is.

Rebecca VLQ 08-23-2010 05:26 AM

Eeeesh....DH volunteered me for a baby quilt for A COWORKER HE DOESN'T LIKE! And get this....he doesn't even WORK WITH HER anymore! And, even better....HE TOLD HER ONE WAS COMING!!!

And, my neighbor, who quilts but then machine quilts on a regular machine, when I showed her my frame says: Ooooh...I should bring my quilt tops over....

:shock:

She hasn't done that yet, and she's very respectful of others' time and all, but I know what you guys mean. Maybe "if I'm bored" I'll ask her if she's got one I can practice on...wink, wink.

egagnon291 08-23-2010 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes - but IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN!!!After going thru all that work, is it appreciated HECK NO!!.................whew! I feel better now.........

No comment on the quilting, but I love your dog. Lost my Saint two years ago and still miss him.

retired2pa 08-23-2010 05:43 AM

Just recently my neighbor brought me a pair of her son's jeans (he's 35 and doesn't even live at home!!!) that he ripped at work and wanted me to mend them. Not that I'm not willing to help my neighbors but I thought this was a little "nervy", if you know what I mean. I reluctantly did them and I doubt her son will wear them because the rip was quite extensive but I did the best I could. I guess I expected at least a "thank you" from him but nothing. Then my SIL emailed me (not even a call!!) and wanted to know if I could make her 2 granddaughters a couple wall hangings for Christmas. Again, I don't mind helping family but she has a sewing machine and knows how to sew and she knows we're going to CA in Nov. to see our kids and grandkids and I'm in the middle of making 6 quilt projects for them! I emailed her back and told her if she got the fabric, batting, and thread I'd do it. Well, I haven't heard back from her so I'm probably in the dog house...LOL Sorry but my family comes first :)

HisPatchwork 08-23-2010 06:07 AM

I like being able to fix things for my grandaughters, and other family members. They think I can fix anything. One of my grandaughters brought me a bag that fits over the school chairs. I mended it and sent it back for her. Her teacher was thankful.I do hemming of pants and jackets for others and they usually pay me. No altering,other than hems. I can say no if it is too much for me, or I am not wanting to. I really have not had anyone ask me to do mending free.

Aunt Doggie 08-23-2010 06:12 AM

My husband told our next door neighbor I "sewed" so she came over and asked me to do ALTERATIONS ON FRIENDS WEDDING DRESS!!!
I don't do mending/alterations on my OWN clothes, and I would feel comfortable doing a WEDDING DRESS????
:thumbdown:
I nicely told her I wouldn't feel comfortable tackling something like that, and she got all snotty!!
yeesh!! Do I slap her or MY HUSBAND???? :lol:

Quilt4u 08-23-2010 06:14 AM

Yes all of them. all the time.

jbj137 08-23-2010 06:29 AM

I have told a few people who asked me to sew for them,
"I only sew for people I love and
I don't love you that much".
J J

cjc 08-23-2010 06:29 AM

I agree. It only takes a couple of minutes to mend something on the machine, and I don't have a problem helping someone out with something that is simple...If it's more time consuming, they know it will have to be done on my time schedule...