Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just bought a Go Big! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-bought-go-big-t295138.html)

ILoveToQuilt 03-05-2018 05:11 PM

I just bought a Go!Baby and love it. Enjoy your new Big!

On the Accuquilt website, there is a chart of all the dies they make. I refer to this chart when I am looking to buy new dies online. A lot of sellers don't tell which machine the dies will fit. The chart shows die number, the name of die, the size of mat needed and which Go cutter the die fits. I think this chart is a lifesaver, especially when you are new to AQ.

I, too, am dazzled by all the die shapes available. I have really had to rein myself in. I would probably buy them all if I could. :D I am currently sticking with a couple for now, the 5" square (I make a lot of I-Spy quilts) and the Value Die (3 shapes on one die, including a 2.5" square).

Again, enjoy!!!

Austinite 03-05-2018 06:09 PM

congrats! i have a die cutter now and i love it too! my advice is to start small, I have a 6" finished square die and a strip die for binding. I've got several other dies on my Christmas list and I'm watching for sales. Piecing is so much easier when all the pieces are precisely cut.

Judith1005 03-06-2018 05:54 AM

The triangle dies are my favorite. And, I love my 2.5" square. Great for using up scraps. I have others, but tend to use those the most. And, I just bought the kaleidoscope BOB because, I want to make a kaleidoscope quilt and I hate to paper piece. (Way too much waste!) Haven't used it yet. Hope it's a good purchase.

And, I tend to cut my fabric to the size of the dies for less waste. (Yes, time with the rotary cutter.) But, you don't have to do that. Sometimes, I even use scissors to rough cut to size.

Good luck and have fun.

Geri B 03-06-2018 07:45 AM

You will love your new investment! I only have the GO!, no physical problem, but if I did, I would invest in BIG....am now toying with purchasing the 1 3/4" strip...watched QIAD video on it...EB new log cabin, and looks like a breeze cutting out the various sizes....but it's out of stock at the moment...oh well, maybe a sale down the road......I do wish there was more competitive pricing allowed though......

ClairVoyantQuilter 03-06-2018 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Frances41 (Post 8012938)
My recommendation is that when you are ready to use the dies, sandwich a clean white paper on top of the fabric. but before the cutting mat and roll the die through the cutter.

Actually, placing the paper or cardstock on TOP of the mat, helps press the mat down to make better contact with the blade . . .sometimes necessary if there’s a few threads in one spot that you’re having to clip.

If you place the paper on the fabric and under the mat, not only do you end up with cut paper, but the blades make even LESS contact with the mat.

ClairVoyantQuilter 03-06-2018 03:10 PM

I absolutely love my Go machines and my AccuQuilt Studio. They make cutting out a quilt so much faster than rotary cutting.